heat exchanger

Well after my heat exchanger went bad, I decided to see if i could fix myself, and found that the baffles inside are what caused it to fail they were never soldered to the baffles causing them to rub and eventually cut through them. :angry2: that is why so many leaks.. well i want to use 3/8 o.d. tube inside this time but there was 74 1/4 o.d. tube before, i was wondering if anyone knows if using 3/8 tubes because there will be less tubes if it would cool enough to work. or will that transfer enough heat to do the job.

Well I don't have a engineering degree but my gut feeling is no one reason for the smaller tubes is they reduce the flow thru each tube allowing for more heat transfer. Even the huge heat exchangers we used on big ships have small tubes in them.

Thanks for the feed back guys, not sure if it will work but I finished it yesterday with the 3/8 o.d. tube, but i also added baffles to slow and make the water turbulent when going through. So maybe just maybe it will work. Thanks for all the posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Shoould have listened, the 3/8 tube would not cool it effectively enough to work, woulod keep cool trolling but not trying to run anywhere so back to the drawing board.... remade the entire inside and used 1/4 o.d. tube 72 tubes total and made baffles, finished sat. and installed works great..whoa whoo. so after some time and about 100.00 bucks the inreeltrouble is back in the water. Thanks Again forthe input Guys should have used 1/4 in the first time.

Shoould have listened, the 3/8 tube would not cool it effectively enough to work, woulod keep cool trolling but not trying to run anywhere so back to the drawing board.... remade the entire inside and used 1/4 o.d. tube 72 tubes total and made baffles, finished sat. and installed works great..whoa whoo. so after some time and about 100.00 bucks the inreeltrouble is back in the water. Thanks Again forthe input Guys should have used 1/4 in the first time.

Glad to hear you got your beat fixed. :thumb: