2002 Merc 90 hp 2 stroke, 3 cylinder

I've put many hours on this engine. About 4 years ago I had to have the flywheel replaced because the gear teeth were stripped out in 3 places, equi-distant around the circumference of the fly wheel. Also had the bendix gear replaced at that time. Yesterday I took a look at the flywheel and bendix again. Bendix gear is badly worn and the flywheel is showing signs of wear in the same three spots.

Questions:

1. How do I remove the bendix gear? Looks simple but it turns out not to be that easy for me. Turning the nut on shaft end only moves the gear into mesh position with the flywheel. How can I hold the starter shaft so I can loosen the bendix retaining nut?

2. Can I move the flywheel into a different position so the bendix will not be making contact in the same places it has been? l am not sure if the flywheel position has anything to do with engine timing any more.

Any help would be appreciated. $85 a hour for shop labor in this day and age is more than I really want to pay.

Thanks, Duane

Nope you cant move the flywheel if you want the motor to run it is what balances the engine to stop vibration and has the timing marks it is also keyed to the crank so you get no other choices. One idea to loosen the nut is to remove a spark Plug and shove a rope in the cylinder then let the bendix engage with the flywheel and when the piston hits the rope irt will no longer turn allowing you to take off the nut it is how we used to get flywheel nuts loose.