What type of actions do you run?

I was just wondering what type of rod actions does everybody run? Do you use different actions for different rods or are most the same. The original spread that i purchased was all medium heavy and now that i am upgrading i went with medium action for the riggers and i came across a great price on medium action dipsey rods so i ordered two and now that they are here i am worried that they might not have enough backbone to pull the big dipseys or get them to release when pulling lines in.

Thanks

Dave

for pulling dipseys you will want a rod for that purpose or it will flex to much and wont stay at targeted depth . I made that mistake and had to buy new rods for dipseys that i aslo use for pulling walley boards.The dipsey rods you will want to run as far forward on boat as possible and as tall as you have room for for a better spread to avoid tangles , taller to front of boat and shorter on riggers.As I mentioned above a good all around rod for dipseys and pulling boards needs to be stiff and designed for that use or it will flex and will be nothing but problems in calm and worse in waves when pulling boards if you want a multi use pole. I now use heartland dipseys rods about $45.00 each for dipseys and when pulling boards and if you want to make it more universal add a 3-5 core to it and its like having 3 rods in one .If you use to soft a rod it will "bounce and cause it to release or if pulling boards it will make boards skip in waves .I run 10 ft dipsy rods in front holders for dipseys and when pulling boards and it takes the work out of switching rods for different uses and helps to keep cost down for more gas for more outings. Just my 2 cents, but im shure others will also have great advice as this site is great for exchanging knowledge and ways to be more productive and learn from others . good luck to you !!!!!

Thanks. The rods i bought are "dipsey diver" rods i was just wondering if anyone has used a medium action dipsey rod and if they had any issues with them.

I picked up a 9' medium action rod yesterday to try with a dipsey. It will be spooled with the new 19 strand wire. I will let you know how it works this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I run medium Okuma Classic 8'6 rods on my 3 and 5 color.

I run Medium Heavy 9' mooching rods on my full core.

That way they pull about the same (bend) and I can see if I have a fish on easier in the tree.

I run the new grey downrigger rods (8'6) from okuma in the riggers. They flex like crazy and are really fun to catch fish on. I just switched them out. Last year I ran classic 8'6 rods (like on the 5 and 3 color) in the riggers and they ran fine. This year I put those on my high lines in the spring.

Dipseys are rulling on blue diamond 10' roller rods. Quite honestly, they could be a little shorter (9') and I would be happier.

I am going for lighter action gear every year I have a set of Blue Diaond 10ft roller rods for my wire divers have not even got them wet yet have used 9ft Classic mooching rods for my braid divers for several years and like them fine. On my riggers I am running much lighter gear with 2 medium light rods setup with 14lb 2 meduim action rods with 20lb and still have a couple of medium heavy rods with 30 for harbor patrol. As the heavier rods get replaced with lighter rods they become core rods or end up in a yard sale.