Fishing With Underwater Currents

While fishing any of the Great Lakes, you will notice underwater currents. Signs of this, are your downrigger cables and lines off to one side of the boat while you are trolling.

Part 1. What I would like to know is how everyone fishes them. Do you head directly in to them? Are you going with the currents? 30 degrees into them? 45 degrees into them? etc, ect, etc...

Part 2. This is where the sub troll and other underwater speed devices comes into play. How many have these devices? Are you using these devices for your trolling speed, or are you still using your GPS?

i dont have one but normaly try to go with the current at 2.7 to 3.0 on the gps and slower going into it at say 2.2 to 2.7 and just let the fish till me what is rite and yes i d undrestand there is a up current and a down current

The main goal is usually to go directly into the current. That is usually when you are going to get your most bites. If not directly, the best bite occurs going into the current in some direction. Then you go 180 degrees completely opposite of the direction you were going into the current, to go with the current. Those are usually the only 2 directions of trolling you need to get the bites.

We personally do not use a Fish Hawk or Sub Troll or anything of that sort. We have used our Fish Hawk maybe 6 times the last 5 years, we personally do not find it necessary. We go by our diver rods to see the direction and speed of the current. We determine all speeds and currents by the bend and pressure on the diver rods and the feel of the boat going into the current. A lot of people will disagree with us and have no clue on what we are talking about and think we are nuts. Everyone has their own techniques.

I personally believe that figuring out currents and the direction of travel is the most important variable in catching fish on a regular basis. If I could tell people one thing to improve their catch rate, it would not be lures, depths, etc., it would direction of the troll.