Tricks and Trades for ice fishing Q & A.

OK, marking fish won't bite on what you have.....HMMMM target fish walleye, perch, crappies or anything you like. Bobbers won't hit, Jigging won't work, what do you do? Lets hear what you guys like to do. I switch structure and use my old spots but I am losing touch with old stubborness that they just wont bite attitude. Just keep moving?

Chris Smith

Chris.

Having fish turn their noses up at your offerings is not uncommon, but seems to happen more for some reason when ice fishing. Or maybe it's because we get a longer, prolonged looks at the fish that do come in and have a stare down with your spoon or live bait. There must be far more environmental factors at work then we can figure out, when the water gets cold enough to become a solid. Things like light penetration, wave action, oxygen levels and everything else that a warm water environment supports and offers, are all different when the top freezes. So one has to assume a fishes mood will be different in those conditions. His feeding urges are not as intense and most seems to scrutinize any offering more carefully, especially when not with a school of other competitors. Walleyes are natorious for this (loner) roaming/feeding cycle, especially in the winter months. But I've also seen massive schools come in when ice fishing Lake Erie and not a touch by any of them. As far as tricks, I've learned to jig agressively until the fish comes into the hole. Then hold the lure motionless. If he turns away, I'll twitch it or let it fall to the bottom. Sometimes slowly lifting it works. But almost never give it another hard jig once you have his attention. I've also caught several bigger walleyes that were crusing along suspended shallow and I seen them on the flasher going through the hole. Those fish are ready to strike and eat right now. On all occassions I simply reeled up to the depth I marked them at and held the rod still and Wham!!!!

Heres is 3 pictures of fish that I distinctly remember that happening with, but know there has been more over the years after I started using a flasher. I also caught a nice steelhead that came crusing through at 6 feet over 26 feet of water. Capt. Dan.

SagBayIce2_21_03_008.jpg

IM000804.sized.jpg

IM000821.sized.jpg