live bait for whitefish?

yes u can use live bait... there is a great lil thing bout it in this months woods and water... but i would suggest using a 3/4 hopkins, Sweedish pimple, buckshot, kastmaster, or kastmaster knockoff. best colors are gold and silver........ let it go to the bottom and jig it SLOWLY! about 6" to 1' off bottom.... u will see guys jig fast and they are just snaggin more fish then biters...IF U GET A BITER ( in the MOUTH not just the head or near the mouth BUT IN THE MOUTH!) look at the fish before keeping. If it had scars of being snagged THROW IT BACK! no fish is worth losing ur fishing rights over. start at the coast gaurd station right by the building u will get fish! GL

ps the DNR are out there in force! they do not have to see u snag the fish when they look at your fish if they have scars u will get a ticket for snagging so just be smart

I am going to go in the morning. I have never been but I am going to fish with bait. I hope it will eliminate any snagging problems. The 2 ways that I have been told to fish bait are under a slip bobber with glow teardrops, usually 2 waxies hooked through the head. Set it so it is about 6"-1' above bottom. The other way is described in Woods-N-Water. Thread on a snap swivel and small bead on your mainline above a small barrel swivel. Then attach 6 lb. flourocarbon leader to the barrel swivel. Tie a #8 salmon egg hook on the end. You can add a second hook 18-24" above that with a dropper loop. Put 3 single salmon eggs on each hook. The weight is attached to the barrel swivel. The article suggests a 1.5 oz pryamid sinker. That way you can tighten up the line and take out any slack. I will lwt you know if I have any luck tomorrow. I plan on trying both of these setups. Hope this helps.

thanks for all the info! Now when I go back I know exactly how to do it.

I didn't have time to go to the bait shop so I ended up using a 1/2 ounce silver spoon. It was a great snaggin lure but only one was hooked in the mouth out of about 12 in an hour. It was a lot of fun, those things can really fight hard when hooked by the tail, etc.