Fishing Without 1st Mate

GLF

I ran a number of trips solo last season. While all went well and I did show a decent profit, a few customers did comment on the lack of a mate. Sportboat has a 27 year history of keeping a first mate on all trips. We are one of only a couple who do out of St. Joe. So I attempt to always have a competent and friendly mate running the lines.

The only exception is when I get folks calling for a discounted trip. I can reduce the cost a smidgen if they agree to no mate onboard. This usually involves 1 -2 person trips only.

If they're regular customers I'll run solo & let them steer while I set lines or net the fish. They don't have a problem with that. Some have been coming out with me for over 20 years. If they're new guys I always have a mate with me.

• 1 month later...

I only run with a Mate if requested and let them know there is a extra 50$ add to the trip for the mate. My auto pilot holds a good course and the raymarine radar gives me a quick view of the traffic around me while setting lines and netting fish.