Billy V Oswego Pro-AM report

On Friday (prefish day) we left Fair Haven and started working our way East towards Oswego. We found a very nice school of Kings out in 300FOW and plucked three fish out of it in just over an hour. We wanted to keep eliminating unproductive water so we left those fish and worked our way out deep only to find an empty screen. Even with the empty screen we managed to box a nice King that came on a Northern King copper NBK fished off of our 600' copper set up. We came into the Fat Nancy's Shootout with a total weight of around 35 lbs for our biggest three fish.

On Saturday we headed out to the same spot where we had 'em nailed down the day before only to find that they were gone. We worked that water for a couple of hours with only a 15" skippy to show for our efforts. I called a quick team meeting and we talked about either going West towards Fair Haven to fish our home waters for Kings or running in and fishing in closer for browns. The Kings hadn't been particularly cooperative in the past few days, so we opted to go for browns. We ran into 100FOW and before we even got completely set up we whacked a beautiful 7 lb brown on a Dreamweaver SS Area 51 fished of of our riggers. Right after that fish hit the deck we hooked up again on a NK Die Hard fished off of a wire diver only to lose it at the back of the boat. :x Then the clouds parted and the bright sun came out......oh great. We kept pushing towards Oswego where most of the browns were being caught and over the course of the rest of the day we hooked and lost another 6 browns and boated one more on a NK glow frog. We came into the weigh-in with two browns and sat somewhere near the bottom of the field. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy with my decision to fish browns, and I was even more upset with my decision when I found out that the leaders boxed out on Kings in my home waters of Fair Haven. :x

On Sunday, we made the right choice and headed back to Fair Haven and fished our every day waypoints. We weren't set up for more than 5 minutes when we hooked up and landed a double. The first fish came on a Dalmatian Spinny/Sigg's Rigs Blue Dolphin on a wire diver out 300' on a .5 setting. The second took a Sea Sick Waddler down 100' on our riggers. We got set up after the mayhem and immediately had a major rip a ton of line on a Green Double Crush Glow Spinny/Sigg's Rigs Green Hypnotist fished off of our high diver out 350' on a 2.5 setting. We handed the rod to 14 year-old Cooper and the battle was on. Cooper did a great job handling the King, but in the end, the King managed to find a way throw the hook. After that we circled back around and worked what has historically been a productive area for us for the remainder of the day. We had a steady pick for the rest of the day and ended up going 10 for 12 on the day with 7 keepers. We took fish on every rod we had in the water....divers, riggers, and coppers. We came back to the weigh-in a lot happier than we were the day before. We leap-frogged several teams with one of the three or four best boxes of the day and ended up in something like 15th place. More importantly than where we placed though is the fact that we came back to the dock with three teen-aged boys who are now completely and utterly hooked on Salmon fishing!

OswegoPro-Am2008009.jpg

We had a great time in Oswego and we're looking forward to next weekend in Sodus.

I heard from the guys fishing the Pro Am this weekend it was TOUGH fishin out east Billy. Lots of waves on Saturday, lots of fleas, and lots of WARM, WARM, water. Lots of zeroes (Ouch!) and 1 to 3 fish boxes.

The VQ from Erie took 5th with a Brown program on Saturday and a deep water set up on Sunday.