6/28/18, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

It was a picture perfect day for fishing on the Bay today with light winds that were fairly steady, blue skies, comfortable temperatures and very cooperative fish too. In fact the only complain I heard today was that various body parts were getting sore form reeling in too many big walleyes. My clients today from St. Helen, MI, Texas and Las Vegas, NV caught their limits of walleyes in short order with most of them being over 20" long. The biggest was just under 28 inches and was hauled in by a lady who had never even seen a walleye before today, but she did awesome on the rods catching several of the biggest fish of the day and a jumbo perch too. We had a blow day yesterday with stiff, northeast winds and rain all day long, so I wasn't really sure where to go since hadn't fished for a couple days. I ended up going to the spot where we finished up Tuesday's charter, which had lots of fish marks there, but was a bit slow on bites due to the crappy weather. The fish really bit a lot better today with the nice conditions. We pulled spinner/crawler rigs on the bottom with bottom bouncers trolling at 1.3 to 1.5 mph. The downwind troll was more productive than upwind. The best lure today was a red/silver/glow harness that I have been using all spring and summer with good success consistently. I did an article for In Fishermen last month featuring this harness and another super productive one and the article includes tons of details on the presentation that we use day in and day out on the Bay. I was told it is supposed to come out this fall some time. The weatherman has predicted a similar, beautiful weather day for tomorrow, so I expect great things then too. 

Capt. Mike Veine

IMG_0442.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1