7/12/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

7/12/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

With a very iffy weather forecast today that was calling for storms all day, we relied on the weather radar, which showed us a wind of stormless weather up until about noon.  We ran without delay speeding out to the same same spot we limited out in yesterday in one to two foot waves.  We set up for a down wind trolling pass though the big area and it was game-on as we started catching walleyes right off the bat.  We had constant action for over one hour and in no time my clients from Pheonix, AZ caught their limits of nice walleyes.  We ran the same mixed spread program that I've been running all week that combines Hot N' Tots with spinner/crawler rigs.   Like usual, the crawlers out paced the Tots, but the cranks did take some fish though.  Color did not make any difference once again today as they hit every color I had down there.  Trolling speed was kept at 1.7 to 1.8 mph which helps to keep the sheephead, white perch and catfish off the lures.  Walleyes have no problem chasing down those lures though at those speeds.  I use small, Colorado blades that spin well at faster speeds.  We are just using half crawlers, which will out produce whole ones on the Bay in most situations.   We had a smooth ride back to the Au Gres River and managed to miss all the storms making it a fine day of fishing on the Bay.  The only down side is that I broke off a lure and planer board on a big catfish today and lost the whole rig, which was a bummer, but happens from time to time. 

Capt. Mike Viene

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1