6/13/16, Saginaw Bay, Au Gre, Fishing Report

Today was a lot better fishing day compared to yesterday. Yesterday we had gusty, switching winds all day with downright rough conditions, but we still managed to scrape up 24 walleyes from the Bay with an all day effort. Today though, with light winds and a nice "walleye chop" the fish were biting much better as my four client from my stomping grounds (Manistee, MI) caught their 32 walleye limit in short order. We had non-stop action right from the time I started setting lines with a triple header before I even got all the lines out. The walleyes were all over the water column today, but most of them were near the bottom, so that is where we focused most of our lures. I ran my two outside boards 60' back, the middle boards 55' back, and the inside boards 30' back trolling at 1.2 to 1.5 mph in 28 to to 34 feet of water (slower in deeper water and faster in shallower). I also ran two flatlines 70-75' back and those two rods definitely had the most action off all the setups. All the rigs were spinner/crawler harnesses behind 3 ounce bottom bouncers. Fire/tiger was best at 30' back (up high) but color did not mater on bottom. We marked fish constantly and I believe that this massive concentration of fish extends from Buoys 1 and 2 all the way north for at least 10 miles on both sides of the shipping lane (50+ square miles of walleyes galore). I also marked lots of baitfish there too and the fish seemed very chubby and well fed there. Most of our fish were 16 to 20 inchers, but a few were larger and a few were smaller too. We probably had three or four throwbacks and no other fish besides walleyes were caught today. We did take one jumbo perch though yesterday.

Capt. Mike Veine
  • Like 2