6/4/16, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

My repeat clients from the Indianapolis, IN area enjoyed a memorable day on the Bay today for sure. We had beautiful weather conditions from the get-go with a light chop on the water, sunny skies and what seemed like a perfect air temp too. Unlike yesterday when the bite was pretty slow early in the morning, today we started hammering them right off the bat and that steady action continued all morning until we had caught limits of nice walleyes mostly in the 16 to 20 inch range. I used the exact same rigs as we used yesterday consisting of 1/2 oz. bottom bouncers on the middle and outside boards, 3/4 oz. bouncers on the inside boards and 2 oz. bouncers on the two flatlines, all set 25' back. I ran a mixture of red/silver and chartreuse/orange spinner crawler rigs and color did not seem to mater much today a everything in the water caught multiple fish. The heavier weighted rigs did catch onto more weeds, but since they were closer, it was easier to clean them off. Those slightly deeper rigs did seem to get hit more though making the extra effort worth it to me. A trolling speed of 1.7 mph seemed best. We caught a lot fewer sheephead today compared to yesterday, so that was certainly OK with me.

Capt. Mike Veine