Bait Fish

GLF

Some charters operate out of different ports during the year. In the spring they are in the Southern end of Lake Michigan. As the year goes on, they mover further up the lake. I am guessing its because they are chasing the salmon which are following the bait fish. Do the bait fish move that far during the season? How do you know where the bait fish are?

The water warms in the Southern end of the lake first as well as many fish(including baitfish) wintering in the warmer waters.

The better fishing moves up the coastline with the warmer waters of Spring and the migration of the fish. This past year we had a very consistent bite from Spring through Fall in the Southern end of the lake. Many of the old timers said it was the best year they could ever remember out of the Port of St. Joseph.

This summer was an above average temperature summer. Was the water warmer at the southern end of the lake this year than in years past? Did anyone speculate on why it was the best year they ever had?

• 2 weeks later...

I beleive that the whole lake had a good year because of the lack of bait fish. The adult salmon from this year were 6 to 9 # smaller because of lack of food supply so they bit on anything in the water. I also believe that the bait fish were on a down cycle and that there should be more bait fish this year. I also believe that the salmon migrated north sooner than in the past because they were looking for more food supply.

I did witness bait piles of over 50' thick out 15 miles off shore in October, and yes they were ailwife for we had to bring out lines and clean off the bait fish to continue to fish. We did bring in a lot of 15 to 18# fish around these bait piles that I think will be a show of what to expect for this season to be 22 to28# fish.

Now I am no expert on any of this but it is something that I can understand.

• 5 years later...