8/1/15, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

Today was a perfect example of why 8 hour charters are sometimes a trip saver. After a tough day of fishing yesterday we had much better conditions today, but it was still a bit choppy out. We ran out to where we had been catching lots of fish near the Charity Islands and didn't even get a bite at the first spot as the water had cooled down and cleared up there with all the high winds we had the past few days. We then picked up and scouted another area, but didn't find anything there either. We then tried yet a third spot and found some fish, but the bite was sporadic. We did work over that area for the rest of the day and my clients from Oscoda (with one downstater too) managed to catch their limits of nice walleyes with most of them coming in the last few hours of their charter. Our biggest walleyes today were a pair of 25 inchers, but we did have one up to the side of the boat that was lost that might have been a bit bigger. We also caught two jumbo channel catfish and perhaps a dozen sheephead too to add to the action. We pulled all our fish today right off the bottom as suspended presentations did not produce for us at all. We had our best luck on humps that were about 23 to 25 feet deep with deeper water nearby. The bite was sporadic. When the wind died down some, so did the bite. When the wind would blow again, the bite would pick up. We used various spinner/crawler rig colors today with no real preference shown as they hit everything about equally. With the predicted 27 knot winds, storms and small craft warnings posted for tomorrow, I have already cancelled my charter for Sunday. Hopefully the weather will simmer down some for my Monday trip.

Capt. Mike Veine