8/8/2014, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

We had a gorgeous day today on Saginaw Bay. The wind stayed easterly all day, but it was light and the waves were about one foot, which was about perfect for trolling. We first went out to the area where we had limited out yesterday, but the bite there was slow and we only took four keepers in the first three hours of fishing. We then pulled lines and headed to another spot and set lines, but the fish were up higher there, so I just set the same bottom/bouncer rigs with spinner/crawlers just 18 feet behind the boards and went to town with some fast and furious action until my customers from both southern and northern Michigan caught a nice limit of walleyes. The fish ranged in size from 15 to 23 inches and they hit every pattern I had in the water as long as it was about 10' under the surface. I trolled at about 1.8 to 1.9 mph and the bite was hard enough where we didn't loose many fish too, which was nice. My customers had a blast today as they had never seen this type of quality walleye fishing before on the Bay. I have not fished for suspended walleyes much this year, but this fishing area had them up off bottom feeding on shiners. Normally, spoons, crank-baits or harnesses with inline weights would have worked better in that situation, but I honestly did not have time to change anything up as the action was non-stop once I figured out the depth they were at, so I just kept the same bottom rigs on there and they worked just fine even up high. The fish were not in one spot either, as we trolled for over three miles in one direction and never ran out of fish. It was just a mater of putting the lures up high in their feeding faces.

Capt. Mike Veine