4/24/2014, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

The fishing was excellent at Au Gres today serving up a limit catch of nice walleyes in short order trolling with smelt imitating, stick baits in fairly shallow water. All the walleyes caught today were on the big side. The smallest fish was 24" and the biggest was 28". Water temps today were in the low 40s. Trolling speeds of about 1.3 mph were best. All fish were caught on shallow diving, Smithwick, Limited Rouges set 60' behind the Walleye Boards with a 3/8 ounce rubber core sinker about 5' ahead of the lure. I did pull some Husky Jerks and had a couple hits on them, but they didn't stay on. I marked a lot of smelt in the area and lots of big fish too. The water was clear and I could see at least 10' down, so running the boards way out away from the boat produced the best in those calm, clear water conditions. My new Mercury motors are running great. I put a different prop on the 150 Four Stroke and it put the RPMs at 5,200 at full throttle doing 37.8 mph for top end with the 19 pitch, aluminum prop. It cruised very smoothly at 30 mph turning about 3,800 RPMs. My 9.9 Pro Kicker ran perfectly trolling down to less than 1 mph in calm conditions, which is great. At 1.3 mph, which was the best trolling speed today, it purred very quietly and ran as smooth as silk.