Advice Requested - Leland Area

Hello -

Please excuse me if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I will be in the Leland area 5/1-5/3, and I was hoping for any guidance as far as shore fishing opportunities during that time. I have a surf casting rig I could use, as well as lighter spinning gear, but no access to a boat.

What is it possible to catch this time of year from the shore?

- I've looked at the map; is it possible to fish off the rock jetty by the harbor?

- Is it possible/productive to shore fish on N Lake Leelenau?

- If I'm surf casting, are spawn sacks a good bet? Seems like I could use a modified pompano rig with a pyramid sinker and some spawn sacks..

Any other ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

BrotherJoe

not sure about that rock jetty north lake leelanua could still have ice on it the way we are going and shore access is limited anyway so cancell that plan. spawn or casting heavy spoons like cleos or crocs is the way to go. or if you want you could try some stream fishing . the river at leland is not a big steelhead stream and is not very long from the dam to the mouth. i would try the platte river-steelhead same for the betsie river and the frankfort piers could be a mixed bag.

joe-reading your post again i wonder what you mean when you say a surf casting rig and then talk about a modified pompano rig. if you are referring to saltwater tackle i dont think you will fare very well and for sure not in the rivers i pointed out. that is more of a stealth game and even when conditions dont call for stealth per say, you still need an outfit with a super smooth drag and a lite rod that cushion these fish on 4-12 ldb line a pool cue style surf casting rig is not gonna do it. i would maybe look around a day see what others are doing then replicate the tackle, spot etc.

Thanks!

I was wondering if I could use the surf rig from the beach on lake michigan. I have never tried that sort of equipment on one of the great lakes.

I figured the streams are more of a light-tackle games.

I appreciate the help.

no problem and yes i think the rod would be heavy for the surf also. i am not sure if posting in a different spot would help get more to chime in you could also always buy a lite spinning outfit and go explore the little streams for trout, if i think and or hear of anything else as your time is comeing up i will post it.