need help buying a boat

toolhawk

Ok I am a novice when it comes to fishing boats ,I own a beater 16 ft, deep v w/ 25 hp , been on detroit river and..... use every year for Canadian bear hunt and fishing , Now my 15 yr. old wants and has earned something better , looking at 16'-17" walleye set up, lund tyee gran sport (type) , MY ? IS , will I be able to take this in the smaller northern mi. and canada lakes or do u think it will sit to deep ? ' ANY AND ALL ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED !!!!

It'll all depends upon the weight of the boat. With those boats they don't draft much until you load them down with a big old motor and a whole bunch of stuff added on the boat. I'd say you'd be fine unless you like to fish with 3 or 4 other large dudes and include riggers, soft top, rod trees and all the fixings.

I would think an outboard model Lund Tyee Gran Sport will probably work for what you want. I would not go with an I/O version as they will have less interior room and draft more water. Lund Tyees are pretty heavy aluminum boats but in that length should be okay if your lakes are not real small.

If you are talking about Saginaw Bay or Lake Erie walleye fishing, that is probably the smallest you should be thinking of. While you can fish in a smaller boat on good days, it is the days that start out good but get worse while you're out there that make the bigger hull worth having. The bad thing about both of those spots is that with land in the road, the weather will often sneak up on you and to get back to the ramp you are going into the weather.