Disney World Rainbows in Missouri

Dave Mull

The first time I ever heard the term “Disney World fishing†was up on Alaska’s middle Kenai River about seven years ago. That’s what the guide said the fishing was going to be like—a ride at Disney World. Pay your admission and enjoy.

And he was right. Using light spinning gear with a simple split shot a couple feet in front of a “flesh flyâ€â€”a really simple piece of fuzz tied to look like a hunk of decaying salmon flesh—we caught a whole bunch of rainbows with some Dolly Varden mixed in.

griffinrainbowhobie.jpg

WRITER STEVE GRIFFIN ATTEMPTS TO LAND A TANEYCOMO RAINBOW.

A bunch of years ago I was invited to fish for bass on one of the lakes at Disney World in Orlando, and while we caught quite a few largemouth up to about four pounds, the “Disney World†fishing in Alaska saw our rods bending a whole lot more. I remember an Asian couple applauding us catch a bass while they were headed to breakfast at a Disney The real highlight of the Orlando experience was applause from several members of a tour group apparently from the Far East when they saw us land a nice bass while they were eating breakfast.

A week ago I experienced Disney World fishing for the third time, and it was every bit as much fun as the first two. Add in the fact we were doing it from kayaks and canoes raised the fun bar even more.

lesmeisterrainbowhobie.jpg

WRITER TIM LESMEISTER TUSSLES WITH A TROUT.

I was attending the Association of Great Lakes Outdoor Writers’ annual conference, this year in Branson, Missouri. Seems like an odd place for a Great Lakes-oriented group to meet, but AGLOW has members from all over the Midwest and some southern states, too. These conferences are fun and educational, designed for members to learn new nuances in communication and gather story material. The last day of the four-day deal is always a fun one, with fishing and hunting trips put together. This year I signed up to fish Lake Taneycomo out of a Hobie Pro Angler—a pedal-powered boat like one like I own, but two feet shorter. It was Disney World fishing at its finest.

Lake Taneycomo, where we put it at a resort called Lilley’s Landing, starts right below the dam at Table Rock. Water comes from the depths of that massive reservoir cold and clear—perfect for the thousands of rainbows and browns the state of Missouri stocks there. We fished within a couple miles of the dam, in an area full of deciduous trees and all sorts of bird life. Beautiful.

smithstrophyanglerlivewell.jpg

MARK AND LORI SMITH CHECKS ON FOUR RAINBOWS IN THE TROPHY ANGLER LIVEWELL.

My friend Dan Johnston, a sales rep for St. Croix, gave me a 7-foot ultralight rod to try out and suggested I find a lure called a Trout Magnet, in pink, and I would be in for some fun. I bought some of these tiny jigs at Lilley’s and Johnston had told the truth. Pedaling the Hobie out into the river, which was more like a lake since little water was coming through the dam, I caught a 15-inch rainbow on my third cast. I was spooled with four-pound test Northland line designed for ice fishing, with a three-foot leader of three-pound fluorocarbon. The seven-foot rod could fling the 1/64-ounce jig with its pink plastic about 50 feet, which was plenty far. The strikes always came as the jig sank—the floating line was a good strike indicator. Of the dozen or so trout I caught in a couple of hours, none was much bigger than 15 inches, but my colleague P.J. Perea, who edits magazines for the National Wild Turkey Federation caught a dandy of about three pounds.

rainbow_in_livewell.jpg

A TYPICAL TANEYCOMO ’BOW IN A TROPHY ANGLER LIVEWELL.

I kept some fish for Mark and Lori Smith, who were in a wild game cooking contest that afternoon—they stayed fresh and lively in a Trophy Angler Livewell, a fish sack perfect for all sorts of use.

All we were missing was a cameo appearance from Mickey Mouse.

Great fishing on Taneycomo. I have been on a trip there for the last 7 years. I actually stay at the lodge next to Lilleys one down. Lilley's has a really nice set up. The trout are definately not Great Lakes size but plentiful and a lot of fun to catch. I have seen a few 20" plus caught there. My boats largest there is 23" Rainbow.