Holland Rest of Laborday Weekend

Well after the 3+1 got canceled Thursday night because of the weather, I was hopping it would lay down quick like NOAA was predicting. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and Bob (Coralee) and I made it to the end of the piers Friday morning and decided to turn around and went out for breakfast instead. After waiting for the lake to settle and spending way too much on some new gear (but sure is nice to have working drags on the wire rods :) ) we decided to try an afternoon trip. We got on the water around 2:00, trolled thru the channel with no hits, and then ran to 60 FOW and set up. I don't think we had a bite till around 5 and then we started knocking em. We ended up 6 for 10 or so with 3 kings, 1 coho, 1 steelhead, and one undersized laker returned to the lake. One of the kings was a touch over 16 lbs.

What worked:

2.6 SOG on South troll, 2.4 SOG on East troll

115 to 135 FOW with 125 to 130 holding the most fish

Holographic Yellow Green back Ace Hi mini plug on 200 copper

Double UV on White 8" SD with BW Mas Tequila fly on wire 160 back on wire

BLL Patriot on 300 copper

I know a couple other rods went but I can't remember what was on them.

Saturday morning went out with Roger and Tony. Contradictory to NOAA's forcast, the wind was blowing strong out of the east and there was a good 2' chop when we got on the lake. It was tough fishing and even though we knew where the fish were the combination of the wind and a ton of boats made it hard to work the water we wanted to. We ended 3 for 7ish I think. 1 coho, 1 steelhead, and 1 17 lb king.

What worked:

I have no idea on speed, I think we were trying to go 2.6 most of the morning but with the currents, wind, and waves it was not consistent.

115 to 130 held the fish

Pearl black dots Ace Hi Plug on rigger 60 down

super slim glow wonderbread on slider 50 down

Glow green splatter back Ace Hi plug on full core

Green Yellow Holographic Ace Hi plug on 200 copper

Double UV on White SD with BW Mas Tequila 160 out on wire

green/yellow/sliver DW Mag spoon on 250 copper

glow blue splatter sparkle Ace Hi on 7 color

Monday morning headed out with Roger and my little brother. Set up in 80 FOW just North of the weather bouy. Worked the 85 to 90 range around first light and after the fish seemed to be gone we swung out to the 115 to 130 range. After starting the morning good we got stuck on 6 fish for a long time with 4 hookups in a row that the fish just popped off after a short fight. Most of the fish we did manage to boat were barely hooked. We managed to pull 2 more in the boat as we were pulling lines. Ended up 8 for 13 with 5 kings, 2 coho, and 1 steelhead.

What worked:

South troll 2.6 SOG, North Troll 2.2 SOG

85 to 90 FOW and 115 to 130 FOW

Mixed Veggie 8" SD with BW Blue Magoo XXX UV fly on rigger 60 down and on 160 and 200 back on wire

Chrome/Mtn Dew 8" paddle with Blue Magoo fly 180 back on wire

pearl and black dot Ace Hi on 300 copper

Mag BLL 007 on full core

Green/Yellow/Chrome Mag DW spoon on 250 copper

Blue Dolphin on rigger 70 down

black white and pink dot j plug on high diver 270 back

We also had a fish rip my mini glow wonderbread Jplug off the 200 copper when it hit

Tried to fish by myself tonight but threw a bearing in the outdrive on the boat. I was able to limp her back to the ramp and did troll for a while in 55 FOW with one fish on the Green/Yellow Holographic plug on the rigger 45 down. Hopefully we can have the boat back up and running by Thursday for the last 3+1 event.