Holy windy walleye May 26th, 2011

Wow...I woke up at 4 a.m. this morning and the wind was already blowing like crazy (gusting to 30!!!). I got to work just after 5 to get ready for today's charter and the flags were already sticking straight out (not what I wanted to see). Today I had the pleasure of fishing with Lloyd and Andrew, a couple of great guys from the northern part of the U.P.. The first thing we did was get dressed like we were ice-fishing (to say it was cold would be an understatement). We then headed to the north end of the bay where we've been getting some fish lately. We fished three locations today, and we caught fish in each one. First we drifted with floating jig heads tipped with 1/2 crawlers in 13 to 18 feet of water West of Center Reef. Here we picked up some fish, but most were on the small side. We then went to try and troll Walleyes Choice harnesses along the East bank near the Vagabond. We got into some fish, landing 2 or 3 more keepers and releasing several undersized, but then the wind got too strong for good boat control. I decided to hit one of my deeper locations that's been pretty good to me this year, so we got out the floaters again and drifted for the rest of the day...and the fish didn't let us down! We needed two 60" drift socks out to slow us down today. The term "walleye chop" sure is over-rated! Good luck from all of us in the Bay de Noc area. Be safe and have fun this holiday weekend! It sounds like it's going to warm up and be a nice weekend for fishing.