Hey Nick, most guys fish lakers on the north side. There is a large flat area that runs between the North State Park and Treasure Island that holds fish. If you are looking for browns and bows you can see them feeding on the surface first thing in the morning and at last light sometimes. Guys troll the dropoffs for them, but that is usually after Labor Day when the boat traffic clears. For lakers if you are trolling then cowbells or dodgers with peanuts can be successful. Also large yellow spoons have been good for me before. Not to mention cut bait or sewn minnows. You will also see some boats out there jigging for lakers with Swedish Pimples or Sandkickers. Just an FYI, most of the large schools of fish you see suspended are actually suckers, they are often mistaken for trout. That is according to the pike spearers who see them all winter. Good luck, my grandparents have a cabin on Higgins, I practically grew up there. I just reread your post, if you are going up next weekend don't plan on fishing much between 9am and 5 pm, the boat traffic will be ridiculous. Do yourself a favor and visit sometime before Memorial Day or after Labor Day, the lake is much nicer when it isn't so crowded. If you plan on skiing or tubing a good time to do it is after supper. The boat traffic clears and the lake usually lays down. That's when we used to go wakeboarding.

Im headed to higgins lake over the holiday weekend. I have heard there is trout in there. Im looking for any and all the advice i can get. What? Where? How?

Thanks nick

North/Northwest side of the lake. Target 90-100+ FOW. Fish deep with cowbells and sewn minnows. Husky jerks and rapalas just don't do the same. At least for me. Have had some luck with yellowish green (Monkey Puke) colored spoons in the smaller walleye size. Also UV spoons did well a couple weekend ago. Hit the lake early to avoid the boat traffic. Remember these are typically smaller lake trout. 6-7lb or less make up the majority of the catch although larger 10-15lb fish are caught at times.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.