Finding fish

Ok I need a little advice on where to fish. Last time we were out we marked an unbeleivable amount of bait just inside the breakwall, 1/4 to a 1/2 mile long in the lower 15 feet and 50 to 100 ft wide. So here is the question if the bait is still there do I troll the edges of the bait or should I run out to deep water and troll there. I am lookng for Coho and Kings , a little tired of the browns now.Its a little strange to pick up bait on the trolling rods .The water around the break wall is about 30 to 35 feet deep. When we were out last sunday we didn't mark anything out to 60ft of water. It got a little rough so we went inside the break wall pick up two fish in 5 minutes then found the bait. Both were Browns. This is my first year out on the big pond trolling , so any good advise is well taken.

Jim

Jim, If you fish the harbor you will get browns and maybe a king or two. It is still going to be a little early for coho in milwaukee though. The big numbers of browns are starting to spread out now with the water warming so each trip I would expect to catch less. I would go to Racine this weekend if I were you and you will catch cohos and kings. Start in 100-125 and troll east till you get fish. This time of year you should be able to catch everything except browns out in the deep water. I know all that bait looks good but their aren't that many cohos up to Milwaukee yet.

Jim, you are sick of getting browns????? I caught nearly 200 fish last year and only one was a brown. It's on the wall. I know guys catch more than that, but I would love to have the problems you are having.

I've not been out, but been reading a lot of reports and talking to other fisherman who do not post. The good temp water is moving out a little, though the cold rain we just had may change that. First year on the pond, read the most recent reports. I would not raido fish. You can chase a lot of "radio fish" and burn a lot of gas doing it and never catch anything. however, peope that take the time to post here are very honest and very accurate with their reports. Just get to know some of us and we'll help as much as we can.

Also, thank you for becoming a supporting member your first year on the big pond. I'm sure Mike appreciates it.

Edited by Just Hook'n
adding

There is nothing wrong with the browns , just getting itchey to get some salmon. Janice My wife really likes salmon and I have heard that the coho are the best as far as being mild tasting. As far as the browns go we smoke them as I was told they don't taste very good.

One of my last browns put up a real good fight and that was alot of fun. Didn't even have time to get the rod in the holder or on the rigger, it was the last pole I was setting , and hit with a great thump. I have always heard that if you find the bait you will find fish. If the bait is still there I will give it a shot . And if its calm enough I plain on running out to depper water also. I have only caught Browns on my riggers and dipseys so far and would like salmon . I fished the gaps late last summer jigging ,this is what turned me on to fishing on the big pond. There is nothing like having a 18lb King on light tackle. This year New boat ,down riggers and dipsey rods its all new to me but lots of fun. And sharing what I 'm learning with my family,so they can enjoy it two.

Tight Lines

Jim

You were told that browns were not tasty and you smoked them. OMG :eek:. Someone is either pulling your leg or you are not speaking with the right cook. Browns are like candy, thus very sought after, at least by most of my friends on the water. Lakers on the other hand, we only smoke, but that too us a controversy with some fisherman.

coho are typically caught on this side of the pond at the same time as browns, early spring, which is nearly complete. The bite then turns to Kings primarly for the remainder of the summer with a few other runs (the ever sneaky Skamani :cool:).

If you talk to most guys around here, the tasties fish are the two year old kings. THe larger fish are a riot to catch, but do start to get a little "fishy". However if you know what you are doing with a filet knife that can be solved as well. I believe that Mike (GLF) has a good recipe section on the site as well if you poke around.

Hey, any fish is a good fish if you know what to do with it.

I bet those smoked browns were yummy. :thumb: