7-16 Waukegan Pre-Dawn Bite ---- Fast and Furious w/Pics !!!

All I can say that if you're SERIOUS about summer time Salmon fishing, then you HAVE to be out on the water, AND fishing, BEFORE THE SUN RISES!

Sure......you can show up at 6:00 or 6:30, and go wash your lures while you pick at them here and there, but you will never experience the fast and furious action that we had this morning at 4:00am!

WOW.....we could not keep a A101 Glow spoon in the water for 5 minutes!

We raced off NE and set up in 80fow right off the nuker. Kings were just slamming these lures left and right, and at all depths. Riggers down 40 and 60, wire Dipseys set on 3 back 100 and 150 on each side, and a J-13 painted A101 Glow Green on a full core. At no point in time while the sun was below the horizon, could we get all 6 rods set at the same time (it was just me and my friend Dieter). It seemed like we had a fish on, at all times, for an hour straight. aaathumbsup.gif Reaching for a camera was about the last thing on my mind, as we were in a constant battle with Kings. I did manage to get it turned for a few shots though. aaasunsmile.gif

We had only been fishing for a few minutes and had just 3 rods down when this King slammed this wire dipsey with a Green/Aqua glow spoon. Deiter fought her well, and I wrestled her into the box 5 minutes later.

07-16-06a.JPG

That was the last picture I took for a while for there were a$$es and elbows flying everywhere--lol.......... I did manage to get Dieter to take this pic of me after a great battle with this beautiful Steelhead. She crushed a green glow spoon on my rigger down 40, and just started screaming, and then jumping. What a rush! What a fight, and on my Musky combo! aaathumbsup.gif

07-16-06c.JPG

Here is my G-Loomis Medium Bucktail, and my Calcutta 400 TE. I battled Kings, Steelies and big Coho on this combo this morning. What a flawless combo....a real high quality fish fighting tool. (Bought it at GAT). The sun is just starting to rise, and we have 7 large fish in the box. 5 Kings and 2 Steelies, with Dieter losing a big King and a big Steelie. What a great pic of a beautiful morning.

07-16-06d.JPG

We got a big Laker that we intentionally shook lose at the stern, and then that was it for that spot. We picked-up and the shot south to the reef, where we searched for baitfish. The second ball of bait we found had a pack of hungry Coho working it. We ran over them several times, and picked up 3 nice Coho in the 8/9lb range, and then we went in with our 2 man limit at 7:30am.

07-16-06e.JPG

Here is me with a King and a Coho.

07-16-06g.JPG

07-16-06h.JPG

Had a great time on the big pond this morning. Felt like I was fishing on some kind of secret trophy lake. What a blessing it is to have Lake Michigan. The pre-dawn summer bite is phenominal aaasunsmile.gif

All Pre-Dawn fish came on A101 Super Glow spoons, and came fast!

The 4 fish after sunrise came on either green or blue Dolphin spoons, or Dreamweavers. We ran 2 flasher fly combo's after sunrise. They did not get hit.

JJ sailor