Muskgegon - 8/24 AM and PM

Started fishing about 1 hour after sunrise - circumstances and meeting up with others prevented us being on the water BEFORE sunrise - and it proved to be a mistake - the early bite was it - we didn't have a bump the entire morning - which we fished from 70' early - out to about 175 by the end of the morning - after sunrise - the fish scattered, as expected - but we were marking some good fish and bait - but couldn't get them to open their mouth - so, we went back to harbor - paid a visit to the Pizza Ranch - and came back out about 5 PM.

The late afternoon bite was not there - and I was thinking that the skunk would be in the box today - but we stuck it out until 9:30 PM. We deliberately stayed in the 70-90' depth as sunset approached in order to target some active fish straight out from the harbor.

Took a rip on a down-rigger about 7 PM which was great - and we put a 13# king in the boat - came on a white bechold flasher and a custom fly - which is a white fly that turns a purple-blue when it hits the water (I think it's a Howie) and I have 4 dark blue 6mm plastic beads in it....I call it Little Boy Blue....

Then - we couldn't by another hit until about 9 PM - as we trolled in the wonderful waves back toward the harbor - came in about 65 FOW - 55' down on the little boy blue again - 15# king - that was it - we were tired of being bounced around most of the day in the 1 foot or less waves as NOAA predicted - so we decided to go in - sounded to me like most guys were stuggling too - some hit it good I think in about 200-300 FOW, down deep...hope we'll see some reports...

Won't be out for a couple of weeks - taking the boat to Lake Ontario next week to fish the fall derby - then back to Lake MI for I hope some staging king action....