Torpedo weights

Looked at a couple of these today and gagged when I saw the price they look cool but for 23 bucks plus tax I don't think so. Would like to see how they pull behind boards but the dive chart compares to a magnum diver at 2.5 mph and I have to think they would nearly sink a standard board. Anyone use any of them yet? I think I am going to make a set of my own to try was thinking I could just put a couple of fins in a peice of 1/2 conduit and fill it with lead might take a couple of trys to balance it out but would do the same thing for a lot less money.

Everyone needs to read the fine print on their charts.

Charts are based on 20lb braid, 30lb braid or 30lb Stainless Steel Wire.

It would be nice if they specified which brand of superlines, and wire they used for their testing. Different superlines and wires have different diameters. The smaller diameter the line, the more depth you will achieve. ;)

20lb Braid = less than 6lb mono

30lb Braid = 6lb mono

The 30lb wire is probably their 19 strand wire(I like this wire) which I think is also smaller than 7 strand wire.

Here is a usefull link on line diameters.

Looked at a couple of these today and gagged when I saw the price they look cool but for 23 bucks plus tax I don't think so. Would like to see how they pull behind boards but the dive chart compares to a magnum diver at 2.5 mph and I have to think they would nearly sink a standard board. Anyone use any of them yet? I think I am going to make a set of my own to try was thinking I could just put a couple of fins in a peice of 1/2 conduit and fill it with lead might take a couple of trys to balance it out but would do the same thing for a lot less money.

I have not bought them for the same reason! The price point is way too high for me. To make my own would require making a precision mold and cutting fins out of sheet-metal for inserts. It's more than just balance. The fins have to be centered and aligned straight, otherwise it will never track straight and true. The other problem is that you are limited on what you can run behind the torpedo. You can only run clean spoons or minnow baits or such. A dodger of flasher combination would still require diver or rigger.

For me it's not worth the bother to try and duplicate the torpedo diver. You can buy a mold for inline keel weights and use them inline or on a drop rig. With line-counter reels, it just takes a little time to make your own depth chart.

If I was new to salmon fishing, I would likely try the dipsy divers first. Then divers and inline boards. That's because of the price of riggers.

For me the jury is still out on their wire. 19 strands means finer strands are used. Could be wear and fraying issues. No wire is kink free, no matter who makes it. Earlier this year there was a quality issue with this wire. There is a notice on their website. So if anyone has any issues with this product, please check their website.

http://www.torpedodivers.com/

Earlier this year there was a quality issue with this wire. There is a notice on their website. So if anyone has any issues with this product, please check their website.

http://www.torpedodivers.com/

Notice

The March of 2009 batch of wire was manufactured with 3% of the batch having fraying issues. This wire is on the 2 ¾" diameter spools. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers and will immediately replace those wire spools affected.

Customers who purchased their wire through a retailer, please see the retailer if you believe you have fraying issues. Customers who purchased online, please send us an email.

i have one in the shark size,ran it on 10 colors pulled like 300 ft of 45# copper on a board.have not caught anything useing it but it has not had much water time as most of our fish have been up highwill play with it a little more when the fish go down deep in a few weeks.i will let you know what i think after a little more testing