Jump to content

Jolly Time

Members
  • Posts

    149
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jolly Time

  1. I usually have a lot of detail in my reports but with the upwelling/lake flip, it is a ghost town out there right now. Managed to catch a couple Lakers after washing lures for 3 hours. We tried 100-180fow. We were trying to find some warmer water. Nothing. I mean nothing. We sent a couple trout rigs down to the bottom and bounced bottom. Good practice but not my favorite type of fishing. We were going to try in tight but what I heard and and confirmed later is that 50fow +/- was ok from 4am to 6am with a few caught after 6am. Fairly small fish with a decent one mixed in. 2-4 fish seemed to be the average catch and done around 9am We did see a few boats out in the 220+ depth. I don't know what they did? I hope the water can straighten itself out this week. I see north winds and waves early in the week. Not great!
  2. Also, l8vescope had fish coming into the spread and then hanging out by the ball. When they took off, they went up and away. So, we ran lures tight to the ball 15' and ran 15' lead free sliders. It seemed to be the trick later in the evening.
  3. Any time I made a speed change we got hit. I would slow to 2.5 at the ball cruise for 5 minutes or so then increase speed to 3.1-3.2 and wham.
  4. 87feet. The last three came in 79 and 35-40 down.
  5. I had the honor of taking out the winning bidder for a cancer fundraiser earlier this spring. Tonight was the night. Jon had not fished the big pond in more than 6 years. My first mate Keagan and I found some fish through the smoke and I am certain wore John's arms out in the process. We ended up 11 for 17. Some dandy fish in the mix. Pretty slow until 8:30pm and then it was game on. Here is what worked 2.7-3.1 at the ball south is troll though we did catch a couple when we did about face to come home. We fished straight out and trolled past Saugatuck. Half way to Saugatuck was when things switched on. High dipseys had flasher flies early and took four rips but did not stay on. Had a free slider rip we lost as well. Switched everything to spoons. Both high dipseys went multiple times after 8pm with Stanglehold "bloody knuckles" "Raspberry Carbon" OG and Dreamweaver "Bloody Nose RV". 120-130 out on setting 3. Never had a hit on inside/deep diver anywhere from 70-140out. Ran meat, white 11" paddle fly and eventually spoons Riggers 50 and 60 down with free sliders produced. Blue flounder pounder, Happy Meal, Dancing Anchovy and many other spoons went swimming tonight. 275 copper, 250 copper 225 copper rods all took fish. It was a great night. Once again, speed was the key. The fish were out of temp and we were taking fish between 30 and 60 feet down. 60' down was 49 degree water. 35-40' 54-55 degree water.
  6. This happened before. Be careful out there. It can be bad and it can actually act worse than fog if there is moisture in the air.
  7. Fished a lot better tonight. 10 for 13. 18lb 2×12lb and the rest 7-8lbers. Tried 100-110fow at first south troll. Not much happening. 7pm hit a pod of fish and had a triple and landed 2. 8-9:30pm was pretty fun with something happening most of the time. What worked... Happy meal 3× on 275 copper Blue Flounder pounder on high dipsey and rigger Flasher fly early worked white paddle dragon slayer twice on high dipsey back 120 setting 3. Did not land either Other high dipsey out 160 setting 3 uv salmon candy green paddle with Docs custom tackle green glow fly. Great hit did not land it. Riggers with sliders did damage. One set at 50 the other set at 60 took multiple fish both fixed and slider. Green flounder pounder rv. Bad Toad rv. Bloody knuckles spoon 300 copper with happy meal and dancing anchovy took fish. Speed was the key. 2.7-3.1 at the ball. Depending on direction of troll we were 2.6-3.4 sog. Best depth was 78-90fow. On south seast troll. North troll was easier but did not produce much action. IMG_20260715_005712.heic
  8. Always best to be safe. You caught a couple and the dinner will be great. The fishing is only going to get better from now to late September. Keep after it.
  9. Well, I didn't fish real well tonight. I tried something and it didn't work great. I ran meatrigs and flasher/fly on riggers, high and low divers and spoons on coppers. We went 3 for 7. 6 solid hook ups but couldn't get them all in the boat. What worked... Inside dipsey went twice with meatrig (green set up). Landed one. High dipsey with salmon candy flasher and money shot fly went twice landed one. 300copper had a nice fish and fought for about 10 minutes. Lost it when it charger boat and slack in the line. Shelly Snack mag rv. 225 copper went once with moonshine bad toad rv. Hit hard jumped a few times and gone. Late in the evening rigger with stacked spoons. Mongolian beef mag 59 feet down on bottom spoon. Biggest fish of the night. Fished 75-90fow. 2.3-2.7 at ball. Fish were on screen most of the evening 35-65 feet down. South troll had to run two bags to control speed. No bags coming back to the north. I never found a good angle. Talked to a couple guys after fishing. Both had really nice boxes. They were in 80-90fow and only ran spoons and plugs. 200-250 coppers high divers and riggers were there hot lines. 2.7-3.3 sog was what worked for them. Flounder pounder and blue stuff.
  10. Thanks for the report. You always put together great information that helps a bunch.
  11. 4 for 4 tonight. 3 kings and one laker. Flies were crazy bad. It was calm and hazy earlier and then the fog came in big time at last light. All fish came late in the evening. We started in 140fow and didn't mark much. Pushed out to 160 and still not much. Angle in towards shore on a north northeast troll. Then turned and went south to end the evening. Finally found fish and bait inside 100fow. High dipsey out 210 and 260 on setting 3 took to small kings. Alien breath mag and parrot something green and blue. Laker rig bouncing the bottom took the laker. An earlier bite on a 5 color with fireball with dingles started our evening's catch. 2.7-3.0 at the ball was what worked for us. IMG_20260610_000322 (1).heic
  12. 4 for 4 tonight. 3 kings and one laker. Flies were crazy bad. It was calm and hazy earlier and then the fog came in big time at last light. All fish came late in the evening. We started in 140fow and didn't mark much. Pushed out to 160 and still not much. Angle in towards shore on a north northeast troll. Then turned and went south to end the evening. Finally found fish and bait inside 100fow. High dipsey out 210 and 260 on setting 3 took to small kings. Alien breath mag and parrot something green and blue. Laker rig bouncing the bottom took the laker. An earlier bite on a 5 color with fireball with dingles started our evening's catch. 2.7-3.0 at the ball was what worked for us.
      • 3
      • Like
  13. I think I am going to try a crazy fish. I rarely and I mean rarely go 9it I ast 200-250fow. I think I am going to try out past 300 just to see what might be out there. The fish have to be somewhere. 1 year olds and steelhead are in shallow. I want to find some bigger fish.
  14. Well, you were in fish. I think the fishing is just tough right now. 4-6 hook ups is pretty good right now. Getting them in the b8at is always the trick. Glad you had a n8ce night out on the water.
  15. 4 for 7. Fished in tight tonight. We went out to 90fow and set up on a south east troll which provided a good troll angle. Fished into 55fow just out infront of Saugatuck. Turned and trolled into wind and waves last hour before pulling lines at 9:30pm. All bites came on turns on outside lines. We were 2.7-3.2 sog and 2.4-3.1 at the ball. All night. 100 copper went with fireball gold with dingles. 7 color went with orange hulk rv standard Both high divers went twice with bloody nose rv mag. Ran them 120-135 back on setting 3 225 copper went with Dancing Anchovy mag Nothing went deeper than 40-60' down. After cleaning fish, I believe we would have done better running a smaller presentation. All fish had really small alewife in their bellies.
  16. Quite an evening! Very sporty out there this evening. 13 for 16. 12lb steelhead to start the evening 130fow 100 copper w/fireball gold with dingles. We tried a little bit of everything tonight. Blue ladder back mother of pearl ace high plug on 10 color. Green Meat rig on rigger down 85'. Riggers stacked later in the evening 75 down and 65 down. Both bottom and free sliders took fish. Dancing Anchovy, Parrot, Yellow goby, Shelly Snack, RV bloody nose, RV wonderbread, 225 copper took fish 5 color took fish. West troll worked best with the wind. Into the wind and waves was tough. Most fish came in 120-150fow. 75-35 down.
  17. Quite an evening! Very sporty out there this evening. 13 for 16. 12lb steelhead to start the evening 130fow 100 copper w/fireball gold with dingles. We tried a little bit of everything tonight. Blue ladder back mother of pearl ace high plug on 10 color. Green Meat rig on rigger down 85'. Riggers stacked later in the evening 75 down and 65 down. Both bottom and free sliders took fish. Dancing Anchovy, Parrot, Yellow goby, Shelly Snack, RV bloody nose, RV wonderbread, 225 copper took fish 5 color took fish. West troll worked best with the wind. Into the wind and waves was tough. Most fish came in 120-150fow. 75-35 down.
  18. Thanks for the report. I am going to drop the boat in for the first time this season tomorrow afternoon. Tons of work on the boat in the off season. Hopefully everything works as it should. I will report if we get into some fish.
  19. I am not talking right at this moment. I am talking over the past 3 years. We are down multiple feet.
  20. I am interested in everyone's opinion on the water level decline and reason/s you believe this is happening.
  21. Thanks for the report. I haven't been on here forever.
  22. I kI know. know. I just can't put it away. The weather has not given up to fall. I used to hunt by this point in the year but that doesn't work at all in 80 degree weather. Every time I have been out these two weeks I have said that this is it. And then the weather decides to be fabulous and 1 footers.
  23. Thanks. It is crazy nice out there. I haven't experienced Lake Michigan like this in October. Wild!
  24. What could be better than finishing a week of work, calm seas, a buddy that wants to go out fishing and catching some nice fish. I submit...not much! We went 4 for 6. As last week, fish turned on the last half hour before sunset and for an hour after. Fished 120fow and worked our way in. Sweet spot was 105-98fow. A little different bite this week. We didn't take a fish on our dipseys. All bites came on coppers and rigger. Water temp still pretty warm. 51-54 degree water was 70-75'ish feet down. 350 copper Megatron flasher with white/blue fly/green beads took nice steelhead early Bad Toad mag RV spoon on rigger free slide with bottom spoon down 74'. 300 copper Bad Toad mag RV took king 325 copper Dancing Anchovy mag took a couple of bites and one king landed. We trolled from straight out hung a right and went north towards Port Sheldon. Just a nice night out there. There were only three other boats and they were much deeper.
×
×
  • Create New...