Lake Lead Dumping

boomerang

FBI Sued for Illegal Discharge of Lead Bullets Into Lake Michigan

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Chicago - January 14, 2008

Local advocacy group Blue Eco Legal Council today filed a lawsuit charging the FBI with disposing of lead bullets into Lake Michigan near an intake pipe which provides drinking water for 18,950 Illinois citizens.

"We've been investigating the FBI's illegal discharge of lead into the lake for months," said Steven B. Pollack, Executive Director of the Blue Eco Legal Council, a local advocacy group, "and we were appalled and frightened to learn that this discharge is taking place in such close proximity to a public water intake pipe. This continued action by the FBI is putting our children at risk of permanent brain damage and developmental disabilities. The damaging effect of lead on children is well documented."

According to documents received through Freedom of Information Act requests, this FBI firearms training range is intentionally designed to use over 2,900 acres of Lake Michigan as an impact area for discarded lead bullets. The City of North Chicago’s drinking water intake pipe is inside these 2,900 acres and its last water quality report indicated lead was detected in the public water supply.

Last November, the Blue Eco Legal Council successfully stopped the Coast Guard from conducting its training exercises with lead bullets on the Great Lakes. "By filing this lawsuit, we hope to set an important precedent, and to force Federal officials to stop poisoning our children," said Pollack, "this is simply another case of the Federal Government believing they're above the law. Especially troubling is that the Department of Justice is the agency charged with enforcing the same laws it is now breaking.â€

For further information, please contact:

Steven B. Pollack, Attorney

Executive Director, Blue Eco Legal Council

3390 Commercial Ave.

Northbrook, IL 60062

847-436-9566

[email protected]

http://www.ecoesq.com/FBI_CoastGuard_Complaint.html

I believe the population figure of 18, 950 is an obvious mistake.

I myself use steel "drop weights" (that term will never die, I think)and won't sweat it if I ever lose one to the bottom.

Frank