Fracking fight comes to Michigan

News

Most of the arguments i've seen that claim fracking is safe says they drill down over a mile. There is plenty of separation between the water table & the gas. Then I found out the gas in Michigan is at like 700 feet. The town in wyoming that they fracked that they found that had issues had a depth deeper than that. Anyone work in the industry? Anyone have wells on their property? Are they deep? You make good $ off of this?

I work in the foundry industry. The problem with fracking is that they are taking up all the sand that the foundries want. They are paying HUGE prices for the sand and seriously buying up all there is, leaving none for foundry. If you guys want your car parts, tool and die, etc to go up in price HUGE they say nothing. If you want them to continue to be available at current market, say something to your congressman/senator about fracking and the strain they put on other industries.

I work in the seismic industry. There is a lot of issues with fracking, an to be completely honest a lot of it has to do with $$$.

There is a specific incident i pointed towards back a year or so ago that involved the town of dimmok PA. A lot of negative steam comes from fracking because of the lack of information people have about it.

Most people's main concern is their drinking water. Having things make their well water undrinkable. Unfortunately, with past experiences these issues have all been (in my PERSON experiences within the fracking industry) people who either did not own their mineral rights to their property, or were not paid what they wanted to for the use of their property. Many suits were filed and few were successful. People would complain about their water after fracking was done, without ANY prior tests to be done.

I personally try to stay away from the fracking talk, because what i do comes WELL before the whole fracking process. I work in Seismic. Gas and oil exploration.

Seismic work is really taking off in Michigan. Michigan actually has a decent supply of oil and natural gas in several parts of the lower peninsula.

We recently did 2 LARGE jobs in Northern Michigan, which new wells are being drilled from right now!

We also have done work around Dundee and Grayling, which have future plans to expand into much larger scale projects!

It is creating A TON of jobs in our state!!!

I have no opinion on the actual fracking because i choose not to. BUT just the job increases alone within the state of Michigan excite me!

I DO support major regulations regarding all drilling though!