Oak Orchard Sun. 7/9 w/pics

Today I fished with Ken and Brian from Pa. We went out of the Oak at 6:15am and set up out front. We found lots of bait and marks in anywhere from 90-115 FOW, but couldn't get them to go. Most of the marks were 60-70 ft. down. It was definitely shaping up to be a slow day. We finally boated our first fish at about 8:00am. It was a small skipper that came on a Habanero (I think...I lost track of the spoons today for some reason). After that, it was a steady pick of 5-10 lb Juniors until lunchtime as we trolled eastward. Right around noon, we picked up and headed back towards home and set up nearly 2 miles east of the river. We, along with a couple of other boats found lots of bait being worked by the fish. We had a very steady afternoon over that water and finished our day 9 for 10 with 8 Kings and 1 steelie. Biggest fish of the day was approximately 16 lbs. Lures of the day were a green 8" spin doc in front of a Sigg's Rig Holo Hypnotist fly on the wire out 190 on a #2 setting, a purple/black Apex off the rigger down 60', and a purple thunder mupp rig down 70'.

Here's a couple of pics:

June282006073.jpg

Brian with one of the biggest of the day.

June282006071.jpg

A couple of happy campers at the end of the day.

After we were done putting the boat down, I headed to Narby's to pick up a few supplies, and I ran into Matt Siggeman who owns Sigg's Rigs. Matt & I had never met before and I had no idea that he was in the area fishing on his own boat. Meeting him today was pure coincidence. We talked for a while and I told him of our success today with his flys. It's funny that I ran into him when I did, as today was the first time I've run his flys. Nice product. I gave him a few of my Habanero spoons and wished him well. Matt's a very nice guy, and I look forward to seeing him again at the Sodus Pro-Am next week. I hope you had a great few days on Lake Ontario Matt!

After Narby's it was off to Captain's Cove to shop some more. While I was in the store, I met Jax Prelude II. It must've been my day for bumping into people. I gave Jax a few of my spoons as well, and gave him the lowdown on where we were and how we did today. I hope he hits 'em hard tomorrow. Let me know how the spoons worked for you Jax!

Guess that's about it for now. I won't be back out again until Thursday, when I'll be pre-fishing the Pro-Am. I love to share details about what's been working for me, but it'll have to wait until after the Pro-Am!!

Good luck to all who get out this week!

Bill

Yeah, it was. He whacked it trying to get the hook out of the fish. Hey, if all we have to do is give a little blood for a day like that one, sign me up for a full blood transfusion! I want all the Kings I can get!!

They were great guys to fish with, and I hope to fish with them both again soon.