EDITORIAL: Testing the winds

News

Winds of the Great Lakes represent tremendous potential for powering millions of Michigan homes and businesses far into the future. But it is a resource that must be developed carefully in order to ensure safe and environmentally sound energy.

More...

Here's my take on it for what it's worth.. Just my honest opinion...

I feel that this is a true benefit to renewable energy for the state. Thats a given. As far as being unsightly, I think they're kinda cool to see spinning slowly in the breeze. I drive past them all the time heading to and from work. (the new wind farm in norther Gratiot County from Alma to Ithica stretching east to Saginaw County). Now, if they spread them out like they did there, I don't feel that there would be a negative impact on our fishing. Only a positive one.

Think about this. What draws fish more than anything else, no matter where you're fishing? Structure. And the windmills would become just that. With them spread out a quarter to half mile apart, they would be easy to troll around. How many of you troll the trap nets that we all complain about? I know I do. Why? It's structure and it draws fish. And at least there would be no missing the windmills and getting tangled up in them..

So, sorry for rambling, but I think in the long run this would only benefit everyone..

Just my opinion...