Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by salmonslammer

  1. Another slow day for us. The pier heads had way too many boats for my liking so I ran to the chalets and worked waters ten to fifty fow south to the power plant. After the water warmed a couple degrees to 46 we took three coho in front of the chalets. The fire tiger thunderstick took two behind boards in 15 and 20 fow and a fire tiger thin fin took one in 20 fow. That was it for the day but they sure tasted great on the grill when we got home!!!

    • Like 4
  2. Fished this morning going 1 for 2. Ran the beach for a couple hours with no hits. Water was still cloudy and 43 degrees. Moved back to river mud line at the piers and took a 6 pound brown on a orange jointed rapala running 6 feet down on a rigger in 30 fow. On the north side of the mud had a steelhead on until his third jump threw the plug. It hit a fire tiger thin fin running behind a board. Hopefully better luck tomorrow.

    • Like 2
  3. How do you tell a splake from a laker? Have a picture? Seems like a pretty rare catch.

    Last splake plant in lake Michigan was 2008 in Escanaba. Lose Huron gets then in Hessel each year.

    After looking at a ton of pictures what we caught was not a splake but I think the laker wasn't a full laker. It had all the markings of a laker but the head was not normal. It will go into the log book as a laker!!!! Thanks to all who posted pictures of the two.

  4. Fished in front of the pier heads this morning putting 8 in the cooler. We took 4 coho, 2 steelhead, one king at 16 pounds and 1 splake. All fish came in 26 to 32 feet of water. The steelhead came in the clean water and the rest in the mud. The steel head came on a red thin fin and a green jointed rapala. Two coho came on red thin fin and two on a coho dodger with a white fly on a 2 co;lor lead. The king came on a mixed veggie stinger and the splake came on watermelon stinger. The lake temp was 39 and the river water coming out was 49 It was our first trip out for the year and all equipment worked great which is always a plus!!!

  5. We went 8 for 12 with 6 Lakers and 2 kings fishing 80 to 90 fow. Magnum lemon ice on 100 copper took a king and a laker. A mixed Veggie spin doctor and no see um fly on a low diver out 170 took a Laker. That same set up on a rigger down 80 ft. took three lake trout.A white spin doctor with a green and gold fly on a low diver 175 back took a king. A magnum warrior spoon lime with a pink dot down 80 on a rigger took two Lakers.

  6. We spent the entire morning in front of the piers working 17 feet to 50 ft. We ended up one for one. There seemed to be a lot of fish around but not interested in hitting anything. The king we got came on a blue spin doctor with a blue bubble fly on a dipsy set on three 50 back. we were in 19fow off the south pier. It seems like the most fish we marked was in 35 to 40 feet of water.

  7. Since fishing has been tough we decided to cover the bottom and fish for lake trout. That didn't work any better as we covered 50 fow to 90 fow for three hours with a skunk still in the box. The lake was flat so we picked up and ran out to 230 fow. At 238 fow we took a coho on a stinger mixed veggies 50 down on a rigger. At 239fow we took another coho on a dreamweaver NBK 51 down on a rigger. That was the last of our action for the day. The surface temp out deep was 60 and 50 down was 51 degrees. We are looking for perch on Friday with better results I hope!!!

  8. Since we didn't find any fish inside Tuesday we decided to run out where we were on Monday. We set down in 235 fow and took a coho at 238 on a stinger blue dolphin 45 down on a rigger. The next fish came at 240 on a warrior mixed veggies 55 down on a rigger. We worked that area for the next hour with no more bites. We then headed west out to 275 and never lifted a rod so we pulled and ran back in to 150 fow. We trolled all the way in to 60 fow with no fish and marked very few. Hopefully Thursday will be a better day!!!

  9. I finally got out for the second time this year! The lake was flat so we went out to 200fow. We worked 200 to 250 with 240 being the best. We ended up 9 for 11 with 5 coho, 2 Kings, and 2 Steelhead. Fish came on 3,7,10 color lead. Riggers set at 45, 50, and 60. Baits were warrior mixed veggies and purple,Dreamweaver lemon ice and NBK. Spin doctors in Mixed veggies and blue

  10. We set lines at 7:00 in 90 fow on a west troll. At 130 we took a laker on a dark blue spin doctor with a blue bubble fly behind a mag. diver 300 back set on 1. At 142 we took a king on a white spin doctor with a green/gold fly behind a mag. dipsy 250 back on 1. At 193 we took a laker on a dream weaver monkey puke 110 down on the rigger. At 200 fow we turned east and went back to 90 fow and never took another hit. I never found any water colder than 60. Our speed at the ball was 2.4 to 2.6. This was my last trip of the season so I look forward to hearing from all of you next spring!!!!!

  11. Thanks for the report Mike. I was out Monday for the first time since the Holland tournament and also recorded my first skunk of the year. I fished 90 fow to 200 with two rigger releases with nobody home and one hit on a dipsy which was gone by the time I got from the wheel to the rod. We need a good east blow for a couple days so we don't burn so much fuel going deep. Good luck the rest of the weekend!!!. The crew I had lined up for today cancelled out. Have a great day on the water!!!!

  12. Sorry to hear about all the equipment lost but I remember a lot of days in July I would be thrilled to come in with six fish!!! I haven't been out in 12 days so I am glad to hear there are still fish in close. I found a walleye board while walking on the beach today. The boat name on the back is Dustins Dream. If no one contacts me for the board you are welcome to it. Have a great evening!!

  13. We took a three man limit again running the exact same program as my post yesterday. We fished the same water and used the gps marks from Monday. We took 11 kings and 4 steelhead. The kings were all over 10 pounds. It almost seems like they are schooling to run up the river. We had 9 in the box by 7:30 but took us til noon to get the other 6. Have a great day on the water.

  14. Took my brother and my dad out for my dads 89th birthday fishing trip. We had a great day as we went 15 for 20. All of our fish came in 55 to 59 fow south of the piers. The riggers were set at 45,50, and 55 andthey all took fish. The mag dipsy's were set at 100 and 125 on 1. Full lead only took one fish. Early fish came on moonshine happy meal, hot lips, bad toad, flounder pounder. Took moonshines off at 8:30. warrior purple/silver and green/silver took fish. stinger carmel dolphin and blue dolphin took fish. White spin doctor green/gold fly and mountain dew spin doctor with green glow fly took fish. Most of the fish were 4 year olds. The total weight of all fish in the cooler was 194 pounds. We had 6 fish over 14 pounds with the biggest 19. That was the heaviest cooler I have ever had in 40 years of fishing lake mich. Have a great day on the water!!!!

  15. My brother coming from Milwaukee got hung up in traffic in Chicago so we got a late start this morning. We set lines at 7:00 in 70 fow a little north of the piers. We went 3 for 4 and pulled lines to find some perch. Our first two kings came on the same setup. A white spin doctor with a green/gold fly. One in 83 fow and the other in 88 fow. In 93 fow we got a steelhead on a mountain dew spin doctor with a glow green fly. The fish we lost was also a steelhead which got into the lead and broke both lines off. We should have kept trolling because we never did find any perch. Have a great day on the water!!!!!

  16. We left the dock at 4:00 for a perch trip. We went south and fished off the Hilltop road water tower in 38 fow. We fished until 7:00 and had 65 in the cooler 8 to 12 inches. The only problem was we caught 2 or 3 golby's to every one perch. It was worth it putting up with the golby's for the size perch we were getting. Have a great day on the water!!!

  17. We went perch fishing this morning and only got 27 before the storm moved us off the lake. It was slow for us as we had to do a lot of looking and drifting to find what we did. We got most of our fish north of the harbor by the cement retaining wall in 20 fow. We threw a lot small ones back but did get a dozen over 11 inches with the biggest at 13 and a half. We also caught a lot of golby's. I didn't hear any reports from the boats fishing south of the piers.

  • Create New...