Lamprey's on Fish, on LSSU Fish Cam

I was watching the LSSU fish cam for a few minutes and was suprised by the number of fish I saw that had lampreys attached to them. I grabbed these photos over the coarse of a couple minutes.

lampreyvq9.jpg

lamprey1zt1.jpg

lamprey2og8.jpg

lamprey3qi3.jpg

lamprey4mz9.jpg

lamprey5qv9.jpg

lamprey6tr2.jpg

lamprey7vh4.jpg

lamprey8dw0.jpg

lssuqg8.jpg

Imagine how many lamprey's there must be if this is only 1 camera over the coarse of a few minutes. :eek:

No it's not, St. Mary's River??? I think

Correct!

Where is the Lake Superior State University Aquatic Research Laboratory Fishcam Located?

The ARL Fish Cam is located in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, in the St. Marys River. The camera is positioned on the output side of the Edison Sault Electric power generation building, on the east side of the hydro plant, immediately downstream from Lake State’s ARL hatchery..

Click here for more details.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the same thing Mike. I usually click on this cam once a week and there are alwasy fish that come by with lampreys. Sometimes i think its at least 3 of 10 that have them...others, barey see one.....Any way you look at it....its TOO many.:(

• 1 month later...

There are more lampreys per live fish in the St. Marys River then in any other body of water. The sheer size and volumn of water running through this flowage From Lake Michigan to Lake Huron makes it impossible for any kind of Lampreycide treatment to be effective. The DNR have kicked around a capture and sterilization idea for years concerning this river, but for the lack of funds and personell nothing happens. So the lamprey in that system have no enimies and get a free life ride. :mad:

Edited by Walleye Express

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

We fish the St. Mary's River system about 20 miles south of Sault Ste Marie in the shipping channel (25-30 ft of water) and I don't think we have ever seen a lamprey on a pike or walleye. They tend to prefer the salmon and trout.

We fish the St. Mary's River system about 20 miles south of Sault Ste Marie in the shipping channel (25-30 ft of water) and I don't think we have ever seen a lamprey on a pike or walleye. They tend to prefer the salmon and trout.

Welcome to the site Dave.