Running two dippseys on the same side.

This year I picked up two wire rigs. I have the Walker deep divers on them set at 1. I have been running my braided divers out side of them with standard LJ divers (with the standard rings) set at 3. I've gotten them tangled up a few times. Tim (stein) says you have to run the outside divers short to prevent blow back. My question is if I use a magnum ring on the out side diver, could I let more line out to gain depth with out tangling?

When the fish are deep the out side diver is not getting deep enough.

So far I love the way the wire divers produce, in the three time we've been out they've gotten %80 of the hits.

I usually run 4 dipsy rods on my setup, 2 per side. Deep divers are magnums set on 1 and high divers have standard rings or no rings set on 3. I set deep divers from 80 to 150' out. The high divers run from 130' to 200+' of line out. I rarely get a tangle on these lines. When setting these rods there are a couple of things I watch for. First, I keep the boat course straight or on a slight inside turn. Second, once the dipsy is tracking (about 15' out) I put the rod in the holder, set the bail, and loosen the drag just enough to let the line out. When the lure gets to the intended depth just tighten the drag. If you allow the line to freespool out, then the dipsy is not tracking on its intended depth and usually finds another line. The lure is also working while it is tracking out, I have had fish hit before I get back to the set the drag. I can usually work on setting another rod while the dipsy rods is working out. The only thing I have to watch for is rookie crew that will release the bail instead of tightining the drag. This is not too much of a problem though.

Are your tangles coming from setting your lines or when you make a turn?

I'm not really sure. What I want is to get depth out of the outside diver (like when the fish are 60' down). It's hard to get that kind of depth with a standard diver set at 3. What I want may not be possible?

I have run 3 dipseys per side with no problems and have also had some of the worst mess's you have ever seen. 3 years ago I only had 2 riggers and hated core in the late run so had to depend on my dipseys took some time but figured it out. Love my dipseys now still mess one up now and then. But I now know why and how to avoid it. NEVER let them out fast make them pull hard all the way out. Allways set the outside line first and I never use 3 to easy for them to flip over on you. When I ran 3 per side outside was a mono rod set on 2.5 standard ring next one out was also a mono rod set on 2 w/ magnum ring inside rod was a Power Pro with a magnum diver set on 1.5. Really should have had Power Pro on the outside lines but used those rods for other things so just suffered thru. I need to get me another wire setup but short on bucks so just gonna make do hard to choose between more gear or boat gas.

TIGHT LINES

Edited by 1 MAINIAC
mistake

Got to set them right, and send them out slow so they run out and down, not falling straight back. Also what you are running matters some, and the fleas sure do make a mess of the braided divers. I think you would have been fine running the braided high diver without the fleas being around on Sat.

Ken, there are a couple differences between high and low divers. With the deeper diver set to 1.5 you can safely run a high diver say with a regular diver and ring on 3 without any interference between them in a perfect world. If you are targeting deep you can set them on 1 and 2 respectively. The Mag divers work well for this. A high diver is just that and is intended to run higher in the water column and expand your spread. There is nothing bad about a high diver running high to pull fish into your spread, I like a slide diver for this application too.

Running just a low wire diver 200+ back you can get into a deep copper pretty easily especially with a big fish on the wire, which is why a lower setting is preferred for running real deep. If you ran it back on 3 out 200 plus you end up way out to the side which can create havoc with a copper and core program so it is a balancing act. You generally should set the diver angle to run between the riggers and core in a vertical sense.

Then there is your rigger leads. A long lead or SWR can easily get into a diver as well in current and in turns. Even a slider can hook on to a released diver so it is important to get a good visual in what you are doing down there to avoid tangles.

Also it matters what you are pulling. A large flasher and fly will pull harder than a spoon, so that will pull the diver back and require a steeper angle or more line to achieve the same depth. Then speed and debris will add pull to your spread. While slowing down the pull is lessened and it will dive deeper.

Care must also be taken letting these rigs out. If you let out 200# quickly it's bound to get into something. Get it started, place the rod into position and let it out slowly to depth under a semi loose drag. That way it will ride the angle into position and less likely grab another line and tangle on the way out.

Let's try again on Saturday.

Ken, there are a couple differences between high and low divers. With the deeper diver set to 1.5 you can safely run a high diver say with a regular diver and ring on 3 without any interference between them in a perfect world. If you are targeting deep you can set them on 1 and 2 respectively. The Mag divers work well for this. A high diver is just that and is intended to run higher in the water column and expand your spread. There is nothing bad about a high diver running high to pull fish into your spread, I like a slide diver for this application too.

Running just a low wire diver 200+ back you can get into a deep copper pretty easily especially with a big fish on the wire, which is why a lower setting is preferred for running real deep. If you ran it back on 3 out 200 plus you end up way out to the side which can create havoc with a copper and core program so it is a balancing act. You generally should set the diver angle to run between the riggers and core in a vertical sense.

Then there is your rigger leads. A long lead or SWR can easily get into a diver as well in current and in turns. Even a slider can hook on to a released diver so it is important to get a good visual in what you are doing down there to avoid tangles.

Also it matters what you are pulling. A large flasher and fly will pull harder than a spoon, so that will pull the diver back and require a steeper angle or more line to achieve the same depth. Then speed and debris will add pull to your spread. While slowing down the pull is lessened and it will dive deeper.

Care must also be taken letting these rigs out. If you let out 200# quickly it's bound to get into something. Get it started, place the rod into position and let it out slowly to depth under a semi loose drag. That way it will ride the angle into position and less likely grab another line and tangle on the way out.

Let's try again on Saturday.

Insightful Tim. Thanks.

When I run my dipsey's, I usually run 4 per side.

I like to set the farthest out first and work my way back in to the boat. 3.5, 2.5, 1.5 and 0.

When I get a fish, they "usually" come in over the top of the others.( Except for "silver bullets" they love to make a mess)

When setting a rod back out, I run it down the chute (middle of the boat) to the desired distance, then lock the reel down and set it back in the rod holder.

And if you DON'T tangle, at least once in awhile, then you are doing something wrong ! ! ! LOL

We fish two divers/side all the time on Lake Ontario. And we run 'em both DEEP...100-125 ft. down. Fist of all, we only run wire on our reels. Secondly, we run the low diver on a .5 setting and get it down deepest. With the Walker deeper diver on 30# wire set at a .5, we figure a 2.5:1 ratio. So to get that rig down 100 ft we let it out 250 ft. The high diver we set on a 2.5 and we figure that ratio to be about 3.5:1. We let that diver out very, very slowly. If we have our low diver set 100' down, we'll try to have our high diver down 80-90' or so depending on where the temp and marks are. Like someone mentioned above, if you let that second diver out too fast, it will free-fall and find another line for sure. Keep the diver digging out away from the boat and you'll be fine.

We also run a lot of 500 and 600 ft copper rigs in our spread. We rarely have the divers get into the copper. Mostly because we run the coppers out to the sides on big planer boards.

I'll also echo the sentiment about short rigger leads. If we're running spoons we can stretch the leads back a bit further than we can if we're running a flasher/fly off the riggers. If you go much more than 30' back on a deep rigger you're going to catch that lure in the wire on your diver. We keep the flasher/fly leads to 10-15 ft. or so. Free sliders can also get caught in the diver wires, so we try and limit those to just our center (highest) rigger when we're targeting way deep kings.

If you take a 3-d look at your spread and really think about what you have where and why, you'll start to see possible set-ups that will and won't work given your methods of deployment and your boat set-up. I try to put myself in the fish's position and think about what all that stuff looks like as it comes over top of me. That helps me keep it all straight.

I will generally do the same as BillyV. Only exception is I run my inside/low diver on a .5 setting with a magnum ring. Less line to achieve greater depths. On the high diver we run it on a 2-2.5 setting with a regular ring. We let the high wires go out on free spool with a clicker and let the low divers out on a loose drag when setting up. However, you cant allow the high diver to go out that way if your low diver is already in.

Lots of good info in this thread. Wish I had known some of this prior to last weekends trip to Lake O. I have never run more than one dipsey per side. After reading this, I know I have been missing out. Time to set up a couple more wire/dipsey rods and have them on board next trip. :) Great info... very detailed. You guys are great.

• 6 months later...

gentlemen, hat was very inspiring, I'm learning so much just reading other posts....but ho do you know how deep your dipsey is when your running on the outside..like I'm uing wire line now on all my dipsy's but if ru out 200 feet, how do I know how deep it will be at....

gentlemen, hat was very inspiring, I'm learning so much just reading other posts....but ho do you know how deep your dipsey is when your running on the outside..like I'm uing wire line now on all my dipsy's but if ru out 200 feet, how do I know how deep it will be at....

Robert, reread Billy V's post, He claims a 3.5 to 1 ratio (on the out diver) 200/3.5= 57'

You will learn. troll around in 40 fow and let the diver out on a tight rod till it hits bottom. Wright it down.

When we set up, one diver goes back say 100' and the opposite side diver goes back 140'. If nothing goes we start letting them back more.

If the one at 100' goes the we shorten up the long one.

Just remember summer Salmon tend to be high in the water column first and last light. Then deeper as the light increases. Start the predawn with 100' then as it gets lighter go back as far as 200+ feet.

I was also taught to use two different lentgh rods. shorter for your lows and longer for your highs. The length separation is supposed to help stop tangles also. Don't know if this is true or not but have had few tangles over the years running four dipsies.