good work South Haven emergency response team

We were scheduled to fish South Haven the morning of 7/3. We waited for the winds to calm down and ended up going to get some breakfast and then splashing the boat around 8:30 am. We got lines set on the lake and my buddy started looking really sick. At first, I thought it was just sea sickness(although he's fished ALOT and never once gotten sick). Then, his hands/wrist/feet started cramping up very tightly and he could not feel his extremities or tongue! We started talking to him and he couldn't talk back. Yikes! We got picked up emergency style and ran in as safely and quickly as we could. My other buddy did a masterful job at the helm in the seas while I contacted EMS. They met us at the south pier and he went to the S. Haven E.R.

The cause of the illness was not 100% determined, but food alergy/food poisoning is a likely possible cause of the cramping/numbness/vomitting/etc. He's doing well enough now that we can joke with him for looking like "Timmy!" from Southpark :D He was discharged in the afternoon after numerous tests and observations, although he still looked very pale and weak.

The South Haven response team was ready and waiting for us. My crew was fantastic(calm/collected/team work ethic). The E.R. was couretous and responsive. A big 'thank-you and good work' to all of them!

So, we finished the fishing day 0 for 0 and everybody alive and accounted for. :D I'll take that!

0 for 0 and everybody back safe is a fine day of fishing. I hope your buddies experience doesn't deter him from going out on the big lake with you in the future.

Clyde

Did you report the restaurant? Maybe there were more cases out there and the public should know.

Wow, glad that your buddy is ok!

I didn't report the restaurant because there's no evidence it was deffinantly the breakfast place. There are some nervous system toxins that take 24-36 hours before they'll make somebody violently ill, like Botulism.

I did not know that some types of food poisoning will cause seisure type symptons and even death! Yikes!

I talked to him yesterday and some of his feet/hands were still a little tingly, but could still feel all of his extemities for the most part. He could talk cleary, so a major improvement. He deffinately isn't soured on fishing and wants to go again.

Great Job and quick thinking getting him home safely. I try to do drills when ever I can to school greenhorns what to do in those situations. We all have to put trust in each other in those situations, glad your buddy will be ok....

P.S. I ate a marginal meal at Cousins last Wed. after returning my drink with a mile long hair curled in it.... Not the first time there, but will be my last.

Anyway, I hope your buddy gets well soon and gets checked for allergies. Another possibility may be an insect bite. He really should see his own doctor and investigate as thoroughly as possible. We don't want to see a repeat of this!