Trim Gauge Wiggin....

Just like it says...

Last year it was getting sloppy, this year the gauge either shows full in or full out, there is no in between.

What do I start checking????

Connections, wiring, etc etc......

Even though a guy can still feel where the trim is, I'd rather have the gauge work.

It's probably the trim sender that is located on the outdrive. The sender is on the starboard side and an identical looking trim limit is on the port side. They are sold as pairs. They are black plastic about 2 inches in diameter and are on the sides of the gimble housing. This system is hydraulic. The 10w30 oil is used as hydraulic oil. The two rams have braided hoses going to them. The trim sender and limit is a tuff job to change. Mine is bad also and I have been putting off replacing them till I have some other work that requires me to pull more than just the outdrive. Mine is an Alpha 1 also.:) The guage, sender and limit are electrical of course.

• 9 months later...

Check eBay also for these under Mercruiser and also Quicksilver. I picked up a new set for $55 a few weeks ago. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercruiser-Trim-Sender-Limit-Kit-Alpha-Bravo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50442QQihZ011QQitemZ320079536349QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Here is one for $70 but they have $12 shipping on it.:(

http://www.amarket.com/index5.htm

This place has some good prices on parts, and also posts step by step instructions. Even if you buy elsewhere you can use their info. Only problem with this place is you have to phone in the order. They are still working on their site. They don't have everything but they have some good prices on after market stuff. The parts I used from them were better than the original.

That's what it sounds like, the senders are probably bad. I have to replace the one's on mine too. Cost is around $100 for the pair. In addition you have to pull the outdrive and the yoke, cause the wires have to go in thru the bellows housing. I will be doing mine as soon as it warms up enough that I can work outside. Wanna help? That way you will have experience when it comes time to do yours. hehehe

I have the old bellows removed from mine now, and that was tough enough. Now the fun begins.:) I have to replace the trim and limit senders, along with the bellows. My water hose needs replacing also. The water hose was in bad shape and the exhaust bellows was starting to get bad. A marine mechanic earns his money on these jobs. If you had twice the room for this equipment, it would be a cakewalk.