wire diver length

I would think that you would need to take too many factors into consideration to come up with an exact measurement. What I would do is setup with your usual setup and run out to deep water and get your trolling speed set. Then let out how ever much it takes to get your dipsey to bounce bottom. Then reel it up and run in 20ft deep or so closer and try it again. Keep plotting your depth and how much you have let out to get yourself a reading on what its doing. These readings may be inconsistant with other setups based on how your reels accuracy in depth changes as the spool thins out. Also trolling speed and direction of current will effect it. I have to believe you would find at some point the bow in the wire would flatten that dipsey out and like you say become neutral. I use to have a problem running mini dipseys on heavy mono and if the trolling speed was too fast the dipsey would roll over and surface from having too much drag in the line itself.

Obviously it depends on your speed & the size of your dipsy. Looking at the `Precision Trolling`book a no.1 Dipsy with ring with 30lb wire on 0 setting will go down 82` with 210 ft of line out. On a 3 setting about 65ft. I`m pretty sure their speed when tested was 2.5mph. Whether you`d want to go deeper than that it`s highly unlikely but at least it gives you some idea you`d certainly have to go deeper before it does flatten out.

• 2 weeks later...