Power Pro Line - Down Rigger Cable

I decided I was going to do some testing. I picked up a 450' spool of 200lb test Power Pro today. I am planning on respooling one of my down riggers with it, and trying it out. I currently use the clincher pads for my terminations on my cable.

Will a clincher pad work with the Power Pro?

Mike,

I once used Fire Line on a rigger rod... Had a swivel lock up on me and the fire line balled up behing the rigger ball and when I reeled it in, I was able to literally crush the fire line to powder in the palm of my hand. I can't explain why, but needless to say I respooled that rod that day. Maybe the advances in braid technology and or the differences between Power Pro and Fire Line will make the difference, But I won't spool a rigger rod with braid again, plus I went with higher quality swivels.

Never Mind... help to read the thread properly

I am startting my third year of running power pro on the riggers and have had 0 problems with tangles or breaks. I think I am running 150. You will see less drop back and no noise. The one downside is water fleas. When they are thick pinch the line between your fingernails as it is coming up or you will have a stinky mess on the spool.

he is yousing it as downrigger cable not on a rod

this is what it said it was ment for

I realized that after I submited... hence the edit of never mind, It does pay to read the whole thing I guess. I've heard quite a few peopple are running braid instead of wire, and liking it.

Mike,

I once used Fire Line on a rigger rod... Had a swivel lock up on me and the fire line balled up behing the rigger ball and when I reeled it in, I was able to literally crush the fire line to powder in the palm of my hand. I can't explain why, but needless to say I respooled that rod that day. Maybe the advances in braid technology and or the differences between Power Pro and Fire Line will make the difference, But I won't spool a rigger rod with braid again, plus I went with higher quality swivels.

Never Mind... help to read the thread properly

Wayne,

I expierence the same thing with spider wire many years ago when it came out. This was back in the early/mid 90's when I was bass fishing. I took it off after that and never used it again.

Sorry didn't answer the question. To attach to the ball connecting swivel simply tie a pallomar knot.

Thanks Keith. Do you use a drop of glue on it also? How often do you retie?

I've got the rigger that my kicker motor sits underneath tied with the Scotty Braid line, 200lb test. I just used a palamor knot as well, it's been on there for two seasons so far. I check the line every so often but havn't come up with a reason to tie it so far, i'd like to hear how long others leave the knots.

It works, and I havn't had any problems, but for me I won't be switch my other riggers over to it. I havn't seen any major advantages, perhaps a little less blow back, but not much from my observations. I hear people go back and forth on the noise and vibration issue so I don't know about that, but the fleas are terrible.

I like having it on this one rigger b/c the rigger reaches out over the kicker motor, so just in case the line got up in the kicker motor I gotta think the result would be not quite as disasterous with the braid than wire.

I never say never, but I don't think I'll be removing my rigger cables, and replacing them with braid. I can see the advantage of less blow back, and ease of termination. A few years back, many were removing wire from their riggers saying the noise was a detriment. Some of these same people were spooling diver rods with wire, and saying the wire whine attracted fish. Well B.S. it' cant spook em on one and attract em on another. There are pros and cons to all our choices. My main reason to leaving the cable on the riggers, I'm addicted to the whine.:lol: My 2 cents.

The Palomar knot rules when terminating braid.

I use just the knot and no super glue. I change the knot once per year or any time I have issues with my autostops. I do not use wire divers and personally believe in the stealth approach. To each his own as everyone seems to catch fish. I prefer the silence and keeping the riggers lines as close to the boat as possible which helps keep fish out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I started to run PP on one of my riggers last year. I used 300' of 150# test. I like that there is no noise and a little less blow back. i USE IT AS my deep rigger. Sense I wasn't sure if would like it or not, I did not take the existing cable off. I simply add a crimp to the end of the cable and tied the PP above it. I have never had a problem with it. The only reason that I haven't changed out my other rigger is that I like the usefulness of the sound. I can get a better idea of what my speed at the ball is.

I use the Palomar knot tied to a swivel.