New Nets right off Big Sable Point

I got this e-mail today along with the chart pic, pure BS. I'm fairly sure it is the Stone family out of Manistee and funded by the Little River Band. They seem to go out of there way to have conflict with the sport fisherman. The Tribal fisher out of Ludington has been working with us keeping us posted on net coordinate and avoiding prime salmon waters. The Stones lose and abandon nets, place them in prime trolling spots like this and the shelf off Manistee and create marine hazards and conflict. I can't believe the tribe continues to subsidize their operation.

Hello to all LACA Captains, Associates, Business partners, community and fishing community leaders,

Saturday morning, the 17th of May, charter boat operators reported a new net placed directly in front of Big Point Sauble. Information received today confirmed the location of this and other nearby nets.

For the exact location of this and other nets go to http://www.ludingtoncharterboats.org and click on the Net Alert Logo. A new list of net locations has been posted today.

The new net is positioned in such a manner as to pose a major safety issue as well as a substantial hazard to Charter and sport fishermen fishing in this area; and to transient boats attempting to 'round the point. It is located is in an area known for steep contours, strong currents, hugh waves and strong upwellings. In past years nets in this area have been abandoned and wound up as hazards to fishing and navigation.

Additional nets have been placed in close proximity to this net, also in traditionally difficult net setting areas making it difficult to fish/traverse the vicinity.

A strong potential for a loss of lives accident exists if these nets remain in this most heavily fished and traveled vicinity.

All boaters and fishermen are urged to avoid and use extreme caution in this area.

Boaters and fishermen who become entangled in any of these nets should report it immediately to the USCG by channel 16 and to the MDNR Rap line.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to report all net related incidents to the MDNR RAP Line: 800-292-7800. When reporting a net incident, be sure to give complete Lat-Lon information, including both north and west numbers in degrees, with minutes in decimal format. Please include the depth if possible, also.

In addition to the fishing and safety issues, the potential for a large negative economic impact to the city and businesses of Ludington also exists as boaters and fishermen become aware of the dangers and choose to avoid the Ludington area. If a major or fatal accident should occur as a consequence of these nets, the negative publicity may undo much of the efforts of the community to attract tourists and fishermen.

big_sable_pointv4.jpg

Thanks for the heads up EdB. That is just plain BS and something needs to be done to put a stop to all the friggin nets. The least they could do is limit the number of nets and where they can be placed and make sure they are marked by lagit marker bouyies and not just a milk jug or nothing at all.

Watched a video on these guys last year, not cool!!!:mad: It is one thing to have the right to fish commercially, but please do so with a little tact. I mean really, this isn't the 1st time that they put nets right where major boat traffic would concentrate their efforts for fishing. This guy is a jackass!:mad: Not too mention all that has gone wrong this last spring from the abandoned nets of last year. I hope that with everything that this group does that does not follow the law to a T, they are cited for, and made to pay. Maybe they'll get the message. I certainly hope that death isn't the reason for major changes to the way this area is fished, because that is too much of a price to pay for doing something that you love.