5/17, 5/18 Duluth/Superior report

Went out Saturday morning with 3 friends in Superior waters on the South Shore. Tried to find the warmest water possible which sometimes was in 35 feet and sometimes in 9 fow. Ended the morning going 6 for 7 with 4 kings, 1 coho, and 1 pike. Spoons were the hot ticket taking 5 of the 6 fish. The other fish came on a clown rapala. Big fish was a 24 inch 6lbs. king. All other kings were like the small king in the picture below.

AdamKing5-17-08.jpg

RyanCoho5-17-08.jpg

RickKing5-17-08.jpg

Took a solo evening run last night out of Loonsfoot landing and started in MN waters. 15 minutes into fishing I took this nice 29 inch 9 lbs king off a board and 57 chev. My biggest salmon to date (I've never fished lake MI yet!). Pretty interesting fight trying to control the boat, take off the board, and net the fish. Probably should get a reward for that but I'll take the king.

Also took a 20 inch king off the same 57 chev in WI waters. Just keep looking for the warmest water possible and it seems to work.

-Kevin-

KevinKing5-18-08.jpg

Nice looking fish Kevin! How big was the pike you caught? How often do you catch pike while salmon fishing?

I see a lot of scales missing from the fish. Do you have carpet on the deck of your boat?

Hey GLF, the pike was about 25 inches and on the south shore of Superior we catch one every now and then. Last year I caught the biggest fish of my life which was a pike right in the same spot I caught this one. 45 inches and 22 lbs. I also caught it by myself and that was quite a battle. About twice as difficult than the king. No pictures though as I released it and didn't want to keep it out of the water. It never left the net until I took it out to revive it. Beautiful fish though.

I have vinyl flooring and most of the scales fell off in the cooler. I didn't take a picture of the king until the sun was in my face. Better pictures that way.

You can see the inside of the boat below and another pic just for show.

Thanks,

-Kevin-

KevinsBoat5-03-08.jpg

KevinsBoat5-18-08.jpg

Why the question about the carpet???? I caught this fish last May. When the fish hit the bottom of the boat, the scales went flying as the fish flopped around. There was carpet on the bottom of the boat.

salmon.jpg

Nice fish! Really dark compared to my spring king.

I bet it was pretty fun getting the scales out of the carpet!

I have a big cup in my boat that I fill with lake water and wash scales/blood right off. Vinyl is the way to do it on the great lakes. I know some guys who switched from carpet to vinyl when the redid their floors. Maybe thats a road you want to go down when the time comes!

-Kevin-

Nice job on the fish. Where did you but in at? I have been thinking about fishing the south shore but never have. I do most of my fishing out of Silver Bay keep the boat there. Fishing is pretty slow till the water warms. Will be putting her in this weekend will be hard fishing with the water so cold..............Bill

Hey ArcticTern I put in at Loonsfoot in Superior and find the biggest surface temp break I can find. Sometimes it's only 1.5 degrees but I focus my efforts on that break.

Hey Leroy glad to hear from you. I'll probably fish the Jaws tourney if the weather cooperates. I only have an 18 footer and last year the water was too rough for my boat. I'll just cross my fingers!

-Kevin-