Treble hooks size and make

Hi, I'm planning on changing a bunch of hooks on some spoons. Regular and magnum size. Question is, what do you use as far as treble hooks, make model and size? What would be the best size treble for a regular 3 3/4 spoon and a magnum spoon.

Thanks

Denis

Eagle Claw L375 2/0 Lazer Sharp Trebles. I don't sharpen hooks - I replace them. These have the traditional Eagle Claw "talon" point.

I change almost every hook on my spoons to this hook and run this hook on my flies and squids. I use a 2/0 on the front hook and #1 on the back hook for J-Plug harnesses.

ST-41 Owners are a REALLY good and sharp hook but quite pricey at over $1 a hook. They have a unique cutting point.

One consideration I learned is that the treble gaps should always be wider than the widest part of the spoon. This way if the fish bites the metal spoon itself the hooks will bite in instead of pulling through that fishes mouth. If you hold the treble against the widest part of the spoon it is easy to see if it is wider or not.

Another thing I learned is that there is a right way and a wrong way to put a hook on a spoon. Once the new hook is ready to go on to the split ring make sure the dual hook end goes toward the cup of the spoon. If the single point goes towards the cup, the spoon will not swim as designed, and it will dampen the action of the spoon.

Or so I have been told...

• 1 month later...

I primarily run Owner 2x strong hooks never had to sharpen one yet and they don't fail. I have a couple of friends that charter and they said the only hooks on thier boat are Owner's and yep they are not cheap about 30 bucks for 50 of them is best deal I have found. But I have reeled in mangled hooks that failed from other top name brands and with the price of gas I am not gonna lose fish cause I saved a few pennies on hooks or terminal tackle. I tie all of my own fly rigs with Gamma Flouro and Owner hooks and as soon as a new fly rig catchs a fish it gets re tied with one of my setups.

Tight Lines