flashers

I always run flashers and flies. Took our biggest fish out of Muskegon on Memorial day last year on a green SD/green fly. They might not catch as many fish early in the year, but they seem to catch bigger fish.

Fishsniffer,

I also always have at least one or two flasher/fly combo's in the water all season. They may not catch as many fish early, but like Paulywood said, I believe they take larger fish early in the season. They also act as an attractor to pull active fish into your spread. It never hurts to have one or two down. Good luck this season!

Bill

In the spring, a lot more fish are caught on spoons. But, as the other two have stated, larger fish are caught on flashers in the spring. If you want to go out and just fish for numbers, I would use all spoons. But, if you want to have a shot at a larger fish, I would use 1 or 2 flashers, as both have stated already. For fishing in tournaments this time of year, we use a large majority of flashers and flies, trying to catch fewer fish, but larger fish and if numbers are needed at the last minute we will switch over to all spoons. Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Hi John

One question on the flashers and flies. later in the year we can catch fish on flash/flies on either core or riggers or wire. earlier in the spring what have you found to be most productive. I have had good luck early with wire dipseys and flash/flies but have not been able to make other cobos work early in the spring. As you stated mostly spoons. the reason I am asking is to try and get that bigger fish for the tournements. One more fish last year would have made a big difference in our standings.

Usually in the spring we concentrate the use of flashers/flies on the wire dipsys and downriggers. We tend to keep the lead cores and coppers open for more spoon-type fish. But, flashers/flies still work on the deeper cores and coppers this time of year as well. But, I would say overall, most of our success is on the wire divers and downriggers and as the year progresses, more lead core and copper success.

In the early season if I am only running six lines I wont have any flashers but if I can put more out I will start running couple. For me the time I normally start to key in on flashers more is when I start fishing outside the <30' range. I feel then I can start running more of a variety of presentations. I will however as said befoe start mixing in one or two in shallow when I can run more lines.

• 2 weeks later...

we use flies with flashers for lakers in superior from spring until fall many times we find trolling that speed and turns and not keeping a steady pace but breaking it up we consistantly catch nice lakers, last word i heard out of keewenaw bay 209 foot of water and bobbing brought in limit