uv lures, spray

I was reading a Salmon Trout Steelheader magazine I got in the mail today and there was a couple of adds for UV painted lures and even a scented spray that gives lures a UV coating. The point is that UV light penetrates water much farther so the lure is more visible at deeper depths and in dirtier water. Just curious if any of you guys have heard off/used/think it would be something good to try or just what your thoughts on it is.

One of the favorite salmon spoons on the Storm Warning is a Silver Streak Ole Yeller Mag. It is a simple pattern with a chartreuse/UV painted stripe down one edge of the spoon. That spoon is the most consistent producer for us over the last 2 years on the deepest rigger.

I can't take credit for it by any means. Borrowed it from Capt. Dan Keating. But he's right. It works!

Pro Troll just came out with UV flashers with the purple they had last year they have added yellow, blue and red UV colors to the flasher line up. I believe it is the first UV stuff in these colors. Not sure how well it works but if it is good as the regular Pro Troll stuff it should be great. The next thing is to find a UV fly or squid to run behind them.

We have UV flies and also 3 different UV tapes, Semi transparent that changes color depending on what you put it on Cracked ice UV that does the same and regular UV that stays looking the same when you put it on. The semi transparent for instance turns copper over black. The tapes and flies have been doing very well all ready on the finger lakes in NY. Fish are supposed to see UV better than anything else, Big Weenie

• 2 weeks later...

Actually Hot Spot were the first to come out with UV flashers & lures. Presently all their clear flashers are UV including Chameleon, Haze, & Stealth. SkeinMachine put a post on New Products last August re the Apex. I've used the UV flashers for a couple of years now. My favourite is the green haze. We killed them last year on that one. UV is the only light that can penetrate water down 500ft. You can't charge them like a glow but any amount of daylight including a cloudy day they'll work.