West MI fishing League

I am new to salmon fishing and would really like to join the league but am afraid of getting skunked. Could any of you give me any advice as to what type of lures to use, rigging to use and where depth wise I should venture. Any help in this matter is appreciated. Thanks Much

Trout115

The WMFL is all about fun and a little friendly competition. I'm sure most of the contestants would be happy to share some information with you. If you have any specific questions just ask. There is a ton of info in past threads.:)

Hello there,

I am the guy in charge of the league and I am not for sure what they are bitting yet...:D But I do know that I am thinking of runnina all the way down to Grand Haven to fish from Port Sheldon. If you want in the fishing league please make sure you sign up before saturday because I will be gone Saturday. Here is where you sign up..

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8991

Hope to see you,

Rich

The guys in the League all share info when we are out on the water. I have no idea where I am going to start this weekend, the lake is going to be torn up. I think the wind is supposed to change direction 3 times before sunday. I wouldn't worry about getting skunked, everyone has a bad day and the other members will do their best to try and make sure that doesn't happen.

I fish the west Michigan league and the 1st tournament last year i got skunked!! but i didn't finish out of the top 10 for the rest of the year so i wouldn't worry to much about that and we are all pretty giving on any information we can give to help another out,but it helps us to give better info if we we know what you have for equipment(boat,rods,down riggers,ect.)just give a little up as as what you have to work with.and I'm sure you will receive plenty of tips and pointers

couple years ago we went out with our then new boat and fished with only dipsey rods and we caught fish so ya don't have to have everything the first trip out

Welcome aboard. A good rule of thumb is to start shallow (as in shallow water and depth down) and finish deep. This may not hold true in the early spring. Green Dolphin spoon has been a stand buy lure for many. Green fly/flasher/dippsey is also very reliable. These thins start in the dark so get a few Extended Glow spoons. Most guys including myself if asked will give plenty of info when out there. All are instructed to use channel 72 on the radio. Good luck and don't be afraid to walk up and talk to guys that did better than you.

Ken.

Given that this weekend will be our first time fishing this year, I'll likley get skunkend! :-)

This is my first year in the tourney, but like people have said above, seems to be a pretty open and helpful crew because it's more about fun competition than anything else. That's why we signed up.