what if, WONT TRIM UP???

so here is the senario, i am ready to put the boat back on the trailer and pull it out to go home, but the motor wont trim up. so unless i get it up (the lower unit) i can't pull it up the ramp with out grinding my skeg/prop what can i do without calling a mechanic to come out and lift my lower unit. here is what i think i can do PLEASE let me know if there is i better way, this is just theory as it has not ever happened to me, but if it does i will know what to do. here goes. remove the two rear nutz on the rams and loosten them, (how hard is this to do?? do i need any special tools??) then thru the ram eyes thread some rope and secure the rams from flailing around, then get some big guy is several little kids who are strong enough to pick up the lower unit and rope this up as if it were in the trimmed up position, i also have a transom saver that supports the lower unit while trailering. WILL THIS WORK?? AND WILL TAKING OFF JUST TWO RAM NUTZ WORK?? ok GUYS LETS HEAR YOU THOUGHTS, OPINIONS, COMMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS!!!! thx JOHN

That would do it.

If the problem is NOT the trim motor, or pump, you could raise it with some jumpers. Check your wiring diagram. There is a switch at the helm that controls an up and a down solenoid. The solenoids control the pump motor. The switch, wiring, solenoid, fuse, or pump could be the problem. The Mercruiser pumps use motor oil for the hydraulic fluid.:)

If you have a seperate "trailer" button on shifter like mine and a prior boat I had, did you try that too?

I've had it where the trim switch in the shifter was bad for trimming the drive up and the trailer switch/button still brought the drive up so I used the trim switch just for down and the trailer switch just for up.

Follow me? I hope that came out right, its 6:30am on Sunday and the coffee just started to go down!

I had this happen this past fall when I had my boat pulled for the season. Both of my outdrives were stuck in the down position. :eek: Luckily my boat storage place was able to lift the boat high enough with their trail so we could get it out without having to do what you mentioned.

I had a bassboat with an outboard. The trim went out on that during a tournament. There is a relief screw(I think it was on the starboard side) that I loosed up, and I was able to lift the outboard. Once the outboard was lifted, I tightend the screw, and the outboard stayed up.

I wonder if their if a relief screw on I/O's hydraulic pumps? I did not check when my boat was pulled.

There may be a relief screw on the IOs, but I'm not aware of one.:) One thing to always remember, is to back the dipstick vent screw out one turn. before operating the trim. This vents the reservoir, and damage can result if it is not vented.:)

The Tad Pole has a relief screw to lower the unit,(cobra outdrive)found out the hard way.but i'm not sure how well it would work to lift the unit becouse one guy would have to be in the boat to close the screw(valve)and it might be too heavy for one guy to lift high enough but with help i'm sure it would work fine.the i\o units can be real heavy.

merc cruise?cobra? or volvo?

Every power trim unit has a relief screw. Look through your manual or on-line. When you turn out the screw, you will be able to lift it up yourself. Prop the lower unit up with a 2x4 and then tighten the screw. Hope this helps.