Running Core for the first time!

Ok,

My current setup that I usally run is 4 riggers 4 rods, and 2 dipsy rods. I have 2 full core rods setup but not sure how or where to run them? How do you guys recommed running them? Dont want to make a mess, and I also have a planner board mass in the front also. Thanks for the help.

Buy a couple of church boards aka walley boards and run them out away from the boat just like a surface line on an inline board. I usually set them 75 to 100ft out after i let the full core out. Set the releases tight as you dont want them to trip on a fish. Its lead core so you dont have to set the hook as there is almost no strech in the lead core. When fish hit lead core they are hooked up. Dont horse them or you will pull the hooks right out of the mouth of the fish just real them in and let them fight. keep the line tight. after the fish hits I usuall give them a second to straghten the line behind the boat. Real it up and pull the board off of your line and away you go. After you catch a few 20lb ers on core you will be more apt to let other peope real them in as it is a work out for your arms. Catch a ton of fish and your arms will be ripped by the end of the summer. Very productive way to catch more fish.

Buy a couple of church boards aka walley boards and run them out away from the boat just like a surface line on an inline board. I usually set them 75 to 100ft out after i let the full core out. Set the releases tight as you dont want them to trip on a fish. Its lead core so you dont have to set the hook as there is almost no strech in the lead core. When fish hit lead core they are hooked up. Dont horse them or you will pull the hooks right out of the mouth of the fish just real them in and let them fight. keep the line tight. after the fish hits I usuall give them a second to straghten the line behind the boat. Real it up and pull the board off of your line and away you go. After you catch a few 20lb ers on core you will be more apt to let other peope real them in as it is a work out for your arms. Catch a ton of fish and your arms will be ripped by the end of the summer. Very productive way to catch more fish.

Great advice. When you get a fish landed and have to put them back out, let the full core out the back, hook the board on, let the board float back that 75 to 100' then tighten the line and it will pull out around your dippsey.

The Church/Walleye boards are the best option.

Ken.

I have used inline boards and a mast. I prefer the mast. I run 4 poles off each board. I found the Larivick releases work good for attaching the lines together. Do not use braided line for backer it will pull out to easy. Run the deeper ones toward the boat. I run copper closest to the boat and 1/4 core furthest. Most important thing is use you core away from other boats and have someone that can drive fairly straight will setting them all up. Once settup not a problem if you drive like a drunken sailor. I have done this for a couple years and have only had a couple that have tangled. Then just cut it and re tie. After catching a fish just let it out the back and the ri attach to your planer line.

Wolfe:

As far as your question about boards, it is really a preference. I have a 221 islander and it is not an ideal situation to get up on the bow and put up a mast and run big boards. I have used bolth and the line boards are alot less hassle to set up and I prefer them because I can run my set up the same way evrtime a fish hits. In otherwords if Im running 5 rods on one side and the 3 one in hits I can run it right back out to the same spot in the pattern without pulling rods in. I could not do this with mast lines. Bolth are very productive but like I said it is preference. Nailer hit it right on the head.

Just go ahead and use your planer mast and big boards. The only issue is when you start getting into mutiple cores and you want to keep your deepest core closest to the boat while your shallower cores are out farther. You don't have to worry about that now so don't. In your particular situation the only downside to the mast vs the in lines is after the release you will have slack in you line for a period of time. The inlines don't allow slack in your line. My experience is that this is a minor issue though.

Laurvick orange releases work for power pro. I've seen those releases used effectively from walleye baits at 1 mph to musky baits at 5 mph and numerous braided lines. Never a problem with premature releases. However the shower curtian and rubber bands is a heck of a lot cheaper.