Erie Fishermen off the hook on Customs Rule.

Erie fishermen off the hook on customs rule

Background checks won't be needed for those entering Canadian waters

Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:34 AM

By Jeffrey Sheban

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

U.S. customs officials have scuttled plans to require background checks for

Great Lakes fishermen and divers entering Canadian waters.

Anglers and divers still will be subject to identification checks if they dock

in Canada, however.

Under pressure from charter-boat captains, sports fishermen and others tied to

Lake Erie's $1 billion fishing industry, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Service won't implement the toughest Homeland Security requirements for those

simply crossing into Canadian waters on day trips.

The decision Friday was not widely publicized, said customs spokesman Brett

Sturgeon. The customs agency is a division of the Homeland Security Department.

"For the average fishermen, this is wonderful news," said Rick Unger, president

of the Lake Erie Charter Boat Association and operator of a boat in Marblehead.

Unger's fishing season starts May 1, but some of Lake Erie's hundreds of charter

captains already are in the water, he said. Fishing trips to deeper and cooler

Canadian waters, where fish are more plentiful, pick up in June.

"We're glad that they're putting common sense to use," added Steven Fought,

spokesman for U.S. Rep. Marcy Kaptur, D-Toledo, who sent a letter this week to

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff asking that the rules be modified.

The proposed rules, shared with 200 charter-boat captains meeting in Sandusky

last month, would have required captains to do the following whenever crossing

into Canadian waters:

* Ask for two forms of ID and fax passengers' personal information -- name, date

of birth, driver's license and phone numbers -- to customs an hour before

departure. Passengers would have been subject to security background checks.

* Call customs at least one hour before returning to port to see whether anyone

on board is wanted for questioning. If so, captains could have been asked to

deliver those passengers to authorities.

Now, Unger said passengers will not be required to show ID before fishing trips

that dock in Canada, but they will be required to show a passport or two forms

of ID to customs upon their return.

Passengers can visit a customs office or use satellite videophones at various

ports.

Simply crossing into Canadian waters without docking won't trigger any ID

requirements -- same as in previous years, he said.

"This is big news and we're really pleased," he said.

Unger said negotiations with customs officials are continuing to make the rules

as simple as possible for everyone.

[email protected]

v/r,

LCDR Greg Fondran

Ninth Coast Guard District

Public & Governmental Affairs

1240 E. 9th St., Rm. 2073

Cleveland, OH 44199

(216) 902-6021/27 (phone/fax)

(216) 990-2611 (cell)

"America's FRESHWATER Coast Guard"

www.d9publicaffairs.com

Me thinks these kind of things are just going to get worse for the regular fisherman and even more so for charter captains. The new Coast Guard rules and regulations we have to abide by this year are unbelievable. Having your boat Documented getting (fact of build) papers from it's builder and all the rules about it's markings. Getting finger printed wasn't that bad, but you have to travel to Toledo do have it done. Seems they don't trust the State police in your own city. And now I have to become a TWIC officer and get a (Transportation Workers Identification Card) as well. And did I mention all these new things have fees from $135.00 to $165.00 each. I've already decided that this years 5th CG license renewal will be my last. With all the advertising cost, insurances, boat slips, repairs, marina gas and rules invloved in running this business now, I'm Getting kind of tired starting off $2,500.00 in the hole every season in an area where it's hard to make it all worth wild. Sorry for venting. :no:

If your boat displaces 5 tons of water or more and carries passengers for hire, by CG law it has to be documented. Roughly a boat 25 feet long with a 8 1/2 foot beam qualifies in that category. To apply for and get this document you need a (Fact of Build) documented blue print, factory build sheet and signed letter from the boats manufacturer/builder. Proof of boats ownership, (Title or registration). Your assigned Documantation numbers (once assigned) permanently affixed to your boat on the inside. Vessels name in letter 4 inchs high or higher on the side of your vessel. Vessels name and port on the back of your vessel. My first application was delayed because I chose the (Coastwise) designation and not the fisheries. I had to call Customs and ask if this was alright. Turns out it was and the officer handling my application himself didn't even know that. I ran the whole gauntllet and now have my documantation license and have the TWIC appointment made for the 16th. This whole thing was an exsisting rule/law already on the books that has been brought up and stressed by the new CG regional Officer over on Lake Michigan just last summer and was/is going to be enforced this year on that lake and Lake Huron. I'm not sure about over on your side of the world having to do that yet. God only knows why this particular officer got concerned over this law and decided to enforce it on honest people with outstanding safety records already. My advice to you is do not call your areas CG Regional Supervisor about this. Do not poke the sleeping LION if he is unaware of your presense. :angry2:

Well I know that the Coast guard is now run by "Home Land Security"

I am thinking this is where the new "concerns" are coming from.

I will in fact contact the office in Toledo on Monday and see what light they can shed on the subject.

Hopefully they will get the heads together, and come up with some sensible regs instead of each area making it's own as they go along.

I will post back my results.

Another law/rule this new guy will be enforcing while I'm thinking about it. Each one of your life preservers have too have a small signal light attached to them along with a sound signaling device. Each light is about $12.00 and the whistles I bought $3.00. Times that by the 14 life preservers I carry on board. But this is one law is one I was ahead of and all mine have lights and whistles attached.:rolleyes:

Another law/rule this new guy will be enforcing while I'm thinking about it. Each one of your life preservers have too have a small signal light attached to them along with a sound signaling device. Each light is about $12.00 and the whistles I bought $3.00. Times that by the 14 life preservers I carry on board. But this is one law is one I was ahead of and all mine have lights and whistles attached.:rolleyes:

I believe this only applies to charter boats.