Wire line termination

I've bought 2 Wire rigs for this year. It looks like the previous owner (A well known charter caption) used a surgeons end loop to connect the wire to the swivel. Is this what is typically used?

Thanks,

Ken.

this is just here say, ive seen someone's post on another site, what i recall was some kind of twist, you thread the wire thru the swivel and twist it around itself, and then to button it all up shrink wrap the twists, ill try to find it again, and if you can ken try to find out from other guys here or on the docks what they are doing, ive got no idea what the heck iam

Ken,

The easiest way to attach a swivel to a wire rig is this. (Hope I describe it well)

Run your wire through the swivel and bring it back up making a loop. Hold both sections of the wire above the swivel and tie a granny knot (Like tying your shoes). Pull it as tight as possible. Trim your tag end and you're good to go. I have used this knot for wire since I started and have not had it fail yet.

Good luck,

Bill

Hey Ken

Albright knot works well and its original intent is to attach Mono to wire,dacron,or anything that is not mono.Go to www.animatedknots.com and click on fishing uses and it shows all knots we use and will animate them to look like a show or you can stop it step by step. also is a good site to learn all the knots that we use to tye off boats and much more

Ken an overhand loop knot or Homer Rhodes knot works well for wire termination. Use a snap swivel with a solid or welded ring so the wire does not get caught in the split ring. Also put a spring or surgical tubing and bead above the swivel to keep the line tight and reduce curls and the dreaded kink. If you get a kink cut it and retie immediately.

I use a combination of an overhand knot and a crimp. I probably don't need the crimp but it makes me feel better. I also reel the swivel right into the tip of the rod. It helps avoid kinks and curls, learned that from a charter captain. Wire is a lot of fun, good luck.