Fly Storage

It's been a long winter, some of which was passed making a bunch of trolling flies. Now that I have them rigged and hanging from a hook over my bench, I need to figure out a good way to store them for use on the boat.

My squids are in a wallet affair that has plastic bag type pages. You coil the leader and squid and then the whole thing goes in it's own bag. Don't really want to smash the flies in the same way.

What do you guys use?

Thanks,

Yooperdad

hey dad here is what i got going on, i dont know where to get this thin plastic tubes and caps, i get the stuff from my bro who works in hospitial, but maybe you can try craft store/hardware/dollar store but shouldnt be hard to find if you look for it, and the boxes are just plain old disposable food storage containers and if you want to write the leader lenght in sharpie on the tube and the color and or name of fly on the box, this is how i do it........and i am doing it WELL!!!! john

SSCN0109.JPG

I like the Fly Trap. It is a Plano box(I think) full of the tubes like boomerang has. It sells for around 25 bucks I beleive. You can also pick up the tubes on e-bay pretty cheap too along with the fly trap and a bigger version for J plugs or other body baits or spoons.

You can buy plastic tubes & storage box for flies:

Horizontal storage box

http://www.siggsrigs.com/tubes.html

Vertical storage box

http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/flybox.htm

I bought a Siggs. Made up some labels on the computer (large font so I don't have to put on reading glasses) & attached them on side of tube with 2 inch wide clear tape. Also I drilled two small holes in each cap, just in case I put the flies away wet.

Nice work Yooper, and some great color combos. Ive tied some up that look just like that. Ive always made allot of my own jigs/baits etc., but i just started tying my own trolling flies a couple years ago. Its very gratifying to catch fish on them and have them hold up to the beating big kings deliver. You think its cool now, wait until you catch some fish on them!:cool:

Try some 12 mm super glow beads on them. You can get them from www.fishertackle.com They also have some new rattling fly heads this year that will slip over the mag fly heads. They even have some large glow eyes, check em out.

Another place to get the tubes is Franks Great Outdoors in Linwood www.franksgreatoutdoors.com Theyre located in the NW corner of the store on the West wall.:eek::rolleyes::lol::D

I just spent more time than I should have at the Fisher Tackle website...have to go to work soon:D That is some interesting stuff they have. Those glow beads look really good and the strips look like a great substitute for the real herring strips that I make at home.

I'll have to look again tonight. I saw where you can buy the beads and strips, but didn't see that they sell the rattle heads without their fly?

Thanks again. Sorry, but don't get that direction often any more. Used to have a daughter living in Redford, but she moved to Green Bay last year. Don't cross the bridge south anymore unless I have to:no:

Yooperdad

Yeah, i forgot to mention that. The head does come on thier fly. But, after its tore up you can add it to your own creations. Itll slip right over that mag head like you used on your flies. The inside of the head is perfectly molded to do so.

Nice a nice set up Caz. I ordered tubes separately and will put them in another box.

GIVE a man a fish and he’ll eat well for a day.

TEACH a man to fish and his wife will soon notice a steady decrease in their savings account.

Yooperdad

I've used CD wallets to store crawler harnesses and I think they would work for Flies also. Cheap alternative and they don't tangle. If you buy the cheap plastic kind it doesn't snag so easy and if it does you can rip it out. who would have thought cheaper is better.

Cheap is good! Good suggestion SalmonQuest. Asking about fly storage, I guess my concern was crushing the flies flat and perhaps losing some of the pulse action in the water. If flat in a wallet doesn't affect catchability, that would certainly be the simplest and cheapest way to go.

Yooperdad

We're still using the Plano boxes and putting a couple of flys in each compartment. We wrap up the leaders as follows:

flystorage.jpg

flystorage1.jpg

flystorage2.jpg

flystorage4.jpg

I wish there was a better way to store them. I've tried the tubes and didn't like them, used foam to wrap them around and didn't like that either. So we're still using the Plano boxes and we have about a dozen of them laying around.

I have used 3/8" clear tubing. I cut the tubing to size and pull the line through, wrap the line around the tubing and throw it in a storage compartment. Seems to do the job for me, and it doesn't cost much, tubing is super cheap.