Squid and fly combo

I was messing around last night, rigging all the flies I tied this winter to be ready for the season. I noticed a pack of glow squids in my stuff so put together a few combos to experiment with.

Treble hook, then 3 glow beads, then single hook, then 5" glow squid, topped off with a sparsely tied fly using Mirage tinsel on a glow head. Looks kind of weird, but both baits catch fish alone, and I'm curious if there would be additional attraction to the squid by the movement of the tinsel?

Has anyone tried this combo or know of anyone else that ties up their own?

Thanks,

Yooperdad

I still run glow squid behind a flasher or dodger, mostly on a Dipsy. If you think about it, it's not all that much different than a fly. The action imparted by the flasher and the glow combination make a killer presentation in low light conditions. We also run glow squid teasers ahead of out meat rigs. The glow squid is a cheap effective bait, that gets overlooked. The squids see a lot of action in the salt waters also. I have been running them for years. Sometimes old stuff gets put on the shelf to make way for the new.:) There are a couple of places on eBay that sell them cheap.:)

Nailer, when did you fish Detour? That was my favoritae spot for years. Took a vacation there every year from about 1987 to 2003, usually the first full week in August. What a beautiful spot and the fishing used to be great.

Yooperdad

Nailer, when did you fish Detour? That was my favoritae spot for years. Took a vacation there every year from about 1987 to 2003, usually the first full week in August. What a beautiful spot and the fishing used to be great.

Yooperdad

Mike, My aunt owns the Raber Bay Landing Resort. We have been going up there for the last 10 years. The fishing has really fallen off in the past two years. Here's a few shots from a few years back. The Tall ugly one on the right is me.

Picture033.jpg

This is my boy with his biggest (around 16 pounds), He's the same one as in my Avatar (now 12-14" taller)

UPlaborday05118.jpg

Ken.

Ken, nice pics. Isn't it amazing how fast those kids grow? Enjoy while you can.

Been to Raber many times, and to Lime Island. Beautiful spot. I last fished Detour in 2004. We caught fish, like you, but nothing like we used to. We got a slip at the marina and camped right next door at the campground. Nice setup.

For 2005, your catch was pretty decent! Hope to go back there some day and spend a little time.

Yooperdad

I run hoochie rigs through late spring & summer for kings & steelhead with some success. I usually rig the mylar behind the squid and in front of the trailing beads but dont see any reasson your setup shouldn't bring on a few strikes. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've used tinsel flies inside/just behind squids a lot with good luck. However, now seeing your picture, I'm thinking I'm gonna have to try it your way. I'd guess the extra movement of the tinsel on the outside of the squid would do more than when its inside and only sticking out a couple inches? Thanks for the idea.